We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tram along the Sea Front

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 94
Tram along the Sea Front

Anyone been in 2008. When i was there in late 2006, The Local Authorities were putting finishing touches to a new Centre City Tram line. This is now open called No. 22 and uses Historic Trams. Brilliant. However when I was travelling along the other historic tram line along the sea Front the line stopped after a couple of Km. And you could see another line all the way along the coast for several more Km, not all the rails were in place but some were brand new and looked as if they were going to extend this line as well. Be a great attraction as it brings you to sandy beaches etc. Anyone know if this line, has been extended.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
1. Re: Tram along the Sea Front

I as there in November 2007 and also saw tracks along the Av da Boavista and near the seafront but they were not in use.

One of the new Metro lines (they are more like trams really) goes to Senhor do Matonsinhos, not quite on the seafront but near enough. A nice ride.

Map here

metrodoporto.pt/document/827457/879099.pdf

I was vaguely aware of discussions about extending or re-instating some parts of the tram service on a more commercial basis (the present operations are for tourists) but nothing seems to have come of it. Pity, given the rising price of diesel for the buses.

There's a good article about the system on wikipedia.

2. Re: Tram along the Sea Front

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 01, 2009