We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday in Porto - what to do?

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 72
Sunday in Porto - what to do?

I'm going to Porto this weekend, is there anything to do on a Sunday? Are the shops open, are there tours to go on?

Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 1
1. Re: Sunday in Porto - what to do?

Hi,

The weather is just wonderful now in Porto.

My suggestion is that you explore the city walking. Go to Foz, you'll find lovely bars on the beach. Or cross the bridge near Ribeira area (walking) and head to Cais the Gaia (after crossing the lower deck of the D Luis bridge, turn right and walk for 5 min. you'll find yourself in the middle of lots of restaurants and bars facing the river with wonderful views of Porto

For shopping I think you'll have to go to a major shopping mall. NorteShopping is the biggest in Porto, but quite far from downtown. Take a taxi.

There's lot of things to do on a sunday...

Have fun

Sérgio

Porto, Portugal
reviews: 11
2. Re: Sunday in Porto - what to do?

No need to take a taxi to Norteshopping. There’s a metro station five minutes walk away – Sete Bicas. The Via Catarina shopping centre on Rua Santa Catarina is also open on Sundays (metro Bolhão) as is the Dolce Vita shopping centre (metro Estadio do Dragão). The latter is the most modern and snazzy of the three.

Apart from Sergios other suggestions, I believe there is some kind of a European Bread Festival on at the Palácio Cristal, in any case the Palácio is a pleasant place on Sundays.

Porto, Portugal
reviews: 11
3. Re: Sunday in Porto - what to do?

No need to take a taxi to Norteshopping. There’s a metro station five minutes walk away – Sete Bicas. The Via Catarina shopping centre on Rua Santa Catarina is also open on Sundays (metro Bolhão) as is the Dolce Vita shopping centre (metro Estadio do Dragão). The latter is the most modern and snazzy of the three.

Apart from Sergios other suggestions, I believe there is some kind of a European Bread Festival on at the Palácio Cristal, in any case the Palácio is a pleasant place on Sundays.

london
reviews: 12
4. Re: Sunday in Porto - what to do?

hi - you mention Foz, is this easy to get to? Would it be worth going there on a sunday in July, if I'm flying out the same evening?

thanks for the info.

Lisbon, Portugal
5. Re: Sunday in Porto - what to do?

Hi,

Yes, Foz can easily be reached by bus. Or if your're into walking it's about 3-4 Km long by the river form Ribeira.

I love Foz. Best place in Porto to seat and drink a cold beer on a hot sunday afternoon.

Sérgio

london
reviews: 12
6. Re: Sunday in Porto - what to do?

great - thanks for your feedback - can you swim there?

Lisbon, Portugal
7. Re: Sunday in Porto - what to do?

hummmmm... well... you can swim, some people do swim there.

But It's not the best beach on the world.... :)

If you want to swim go to the beaches south from Porto (In Gaia).

Sérgio

8. Re: Sunday in Porto - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 28, 2009