We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Works on Funchal Seafront

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, United...
reviews: 2
Works on Funchal Seafront

Hi,

We are going to Funchal at the beginning of July and have been really looking forward to it! I have just come across info on here around the extensive works on the seafront..........

One of the reasons Funchal appealed to us, was because we love nothing more than a peaceful stroll along the seafront, we were looking forward to going to the Lido etc etc.

Ive looked at a couple of webcams online and it currently looks like a complete building site with lots of cranes etc. Is it as bad as it looks? Would it still be enjoyable to walk along the promenade etc. or is it a complete write-off? Is it noisy during the day? Can the noise be heard in restaurants etc? Please Help!

Thanks in advance!

32 replies to this topic
madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 23
1. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

You don't say where you are staying. The works are in the City and Old Town part of Funchal. If you are staying in the main Hotel area it is some way from the city centre promenade and in the Lido area there is a lovely walk along the coastline, which takes in some pebble beaches, restaurants and a Lido complex (Ponta Gorda). Let us know the name of your Hotel and we can be more helpful with the info.

Rochester, United...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

We are staying at hotel Albergaria Dias. Thanks for your help!

merseyside
reviews: 18
3. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

it will effect you then ,eating in the towns restaurants will not impinge on you walking around town you wil not be aware of it only if on seafront you will notice it

Glasgow Scotland
reviews: 41
4. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

This is only my opinion, but, I would say yes, it is as bad as it looks. There are also other works on the other side of the road at both ends of the Promenade which can't be seen on the web cams. Part of the Prom was also blocked off. When we were there first 2 weeks in April it was fairly noisy and dusty, but, we were not bothered by it if we used the streets further back. The Promenade walk in the Lido area only had one small lot of work going on and was still a very pleasant walk. As I said this was early April so I don't know how badly affected it is now.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 23
5. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

Your hotel is back from the works, the Old Town restaurants will not be affected but there is only limited walking along the promenade as much is sectioned off. Having said that , there is constant movement and things can change almost daily, There is a small lido just past the Fort near your hotel but the main Lido area is further along the coast and the pools are no longer in use. I doubt that you will hear too much noise at your hotel it is well back from the work. I would not worry too much, but not many people spend all day at the Hotel and there are many great areas to explore by trips, dolphin watching, walks, canyoning,diving,

Wrexham, United...
reviews: 53
6. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

I am afraid I agree with Calderglen ,it is as bad as it looks ,in fact worse . However I also agree with Flowercity that things can change daily and there is so much more to do in Madeira than walk on the promenade .We arrived home a week ago and had a great holiday .The Lido promenade is still a very pleasant walk and the gardens are as good as ever .There are plenty of tours to other areas of the island .You will find plenty to explore .

UK
7. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

Also, to truly get away from the works and any noise, you could take a lovely seafront stroll along the promenade at Canico. I am not sure of the bus to catch, but I am sure there's a regular service to the area and back again.

Manchester...
reviews: 5
8. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

I'm going in two weeks time, 29 July, staying at the Pestana Carlton Hotel. Does anyone have an update on the seafront works? Also, is my hotel near them?

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 89
9. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

Hi the Carlton is a good bit away from the seafront works should not effect your hotel re works themselves they are still ongoing and will be for a fair time.

Manchester...
reviews: 5
10. Re: Works on Funchal Seafront

Thank you very much. Can't wait to go.

Edited: 4:13 am, July 15, 2013
Reply to: Works on Funchal Seafront
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted