We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East End, New York
reviews: 12
Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

Hello

I'm hoping my husband and I will be able to walk to town and hire a car instead of at the airport. When we depart the plane I'd rather not drive after the long trip from NY.

Also, we will be staying at the Sao Tiago near the old town. The hotel can pick us up at the airport with van for 25 euroes each way. Good deal or should I just take taxi at airport.

Thank you.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 32
1. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

Your hotel should be able to arrange car hire for you, ask at reception, when you check-in. The cost of the hotel pick-up is about the same as a taxi.

East End, New York
2. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

Thanks very much

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 26
3. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

There are local rental car agencies which would even bring the car to your hotel. For drop off you just park it at the hotel, leave the key at the reception and they will come and collect it. We did it that way when we stayed at the Porto Santa Maria - very easy and I'm sure it will work also with your hotel. Just ask the hotel staff for adresses.

For airport transfer we used Madeira Airport Transfers. They sent a regular taxi to collect us, but we payed only E 23 which is less than a normal taxi fare. Here is the link, where you can book online:

www.madeira-airport-transfers.com

East End, New York
4. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

Talk about convenient - what great service. I will contact the hotel . Now I have to decide the best type of car to rent for sighteseeing.

Thank you.

madeira
Destination Expert
5. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

If you are planning to 'do the Island' by car, I would recommend a high CC car, so that it will cope with the hills well.

East End, New York
6. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

sorry, but what do you mean by "high CC" car?

England, United...
reviews: 57
7. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

CC is the engine size, it stands for cubic centimeters so for instance 1600 cc is the same as 1.6 liter (US spelling).

As flowercity has said the car will need enough power to deal with the steep hills in Madeira.

Edited: 1:24 pm, January 29, 2011
Wollongong...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

We've just returned from Madeira and agree that a higher capacity car is definitely necessary as many of the cars which hire companies in Madeira use are made for "normal" Eurpean roads. Roads in Madeira can be very steep and rugged at times. We had a diesel Megane which sat 4 people comfortably ( 5 if needed ) and coped very well with the roads, even driving to Paul da Serra from Canhas (very steep and rough).

East End, New York
9. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

I'm wondering if it is possible to rent a jeep?

madeira
Destination Expert
10. Re: Can a car be hired (rented) in the town of Funchal?

contact www.madeira-seekers.com I think they have a contact who rents Jeeps to visitors.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal