We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lavada walk "the lakes"

Which Madeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
midlands
reviews: 19
Lavada walk "the lakes"

Hi I have been looking at the walks on offer and this one seems to be the only one without a warning for Vertigo , My friend is a bit concerned as to whether she will be able to do it or not she is fine with heights if there is something between her and the drop . So has anyone done this walk are there any hair raising parts? also would I be ok wearing a pair of trainers as I don't want to take my walking boots because they are too heavy .we are going in July .

any other info or comments welcome thanks

Maidenhead, United...
reviews: 38
1. Re: Lavada walk "the lakes"

Take a look at this U tube clip of the lakes walk. I suffer from vertigo and know how your friend feels. On reflection, I think I would call them Very Large Pools not lakes from memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6GdCqek-0

I wear strong trekking trainers with good grip soles for easy walks. Low walking boots for moderate walks. You need good grip as it can be very slippery underfoot and you can never be too careful.

The Paradise Valley walk may also be suitable (classed as easy walk) I have done this walk a few times on a Sunday morning. There are U tube clips for lots of walks if you search on google.

The Hague, The...
reviews: 93
2. Re: Lavada walk "the lakes"

The "lakes"walk is quite easy, no vertigo danger indeed.

It involves some climbing at the end but not very strenuous.

The exact route can vary. It starts at the parking above Rabacal and ends on the road on Paul da Serra, east of the Pico da Urze hotel

But "lakes" is a rather exagarated word, There are no lakes on Madeira, just pools.

Paradise Vallesy is a very crowded but not very interesting halfday wak. I would avoid it. No great views and lots of people.

Edited: 11:57 am, June 07, 2013
midlands
reviews: 19
3. Re: Lavada walk "the lakes"

Hi thanks for your reply We have booked the lakes tour . will I be ok wearing trainers? my walking boots are too heavy to pack

The Hague, The...
reviews: 93
4. Re: Lavada walk "the lakes"

Sorry for very late reply.

Walking boots are always best for Madeira but I see very many people just in trainers and I don't remember any muddy parts of the path.

5. Re: Lavada walk "the lakes"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Madeira