We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay out of the city and what to eat?

Yorkshire Dales...
Where to stay out of the city and what to eat?

I'm looking to book a holiday to Madeira but really wanted to stay out of the city. I don't like busy towns. I prefer to stay in the country or in a more relaxed environment. I like to go hiking, take pictures etc. I can find lots of info about Funchal but not much about other areas. I wanted to know which is the best part of the island to stay in? Of course i'm looking for a place that is not completely isolated. I do wish to eat out and love tasting new foods (any info about Madeiran foods would also be a help), so I need a place that is out of the city but not far from some shops and restaurants. Any suggestions?

London
reviews: 5
1. Re: Where to stay out of the city and what to eat?

You'd be best with Calheta or Machico but if you really want beautiful countryside I would recommend Calheta and the Arco da Calheta area in particular. A natural arch of mountains and the blue atlantic in front give Arco da Calheta an absolutely stunning vista to appreciate. Calheta has 5 or 6 really good restaurants, plenty of lovely walks and endless opportunities to take stunning photos. We spent 7 of our 10 day holday there in March and I took hundreds of sublime photos of the coast and countryside with my recenty acquired Sony A65.

If you decide to go to Arco and want more detailed info just let me know as I never get tired about talking about this little piece of paradise.

funchal
reviews: 2
2. Re: Where to stay out of the city and what to eat?

Try a good B&B.

I am sure this link will welp.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g189165-c2-Madeira_…

Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 3
3. Re: Where to stay out of the city and what to eat?

If you are looking for a relaxed environment and hiking you can do that in several parts for example in Santana, Calheta, Machico, Câmara de Lobos. I would suggest Machico as being more ideal for you i think. It is definately calm, 5 minutes drive from the airport, there is a hotel near a sandy beach and some very good places to eat in the village. There are great levada walks to do in the mountainous parts of Machico. Machico is neighbour to Santana so, if you hire a car, you could do the levada walks there which are probably the best i have experienced in Madeira. You could stay in Santana. Its quiet and picturesque but there are no shops there. Its authentic countrylife only. Regarding Madeiran foods, in the country you will definately find traditional restaurants serving up real traditional foods. If you want to know what to expect (and most menus are the same in the country) you can find lots of info at madeira-restaurants.com/eating-out-in-madeir… You can get some good info about all the different locations in Madeira from this site too which might help you to decide which area would suit you better. Hope it helps!

Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 3
4. Re: Where to stay out of the city and what to eat?

sorry Jonathan...the correct link is madeira-restaurants.com/eating-out-in-madeira

5. Re: Where to stay out of the city and what to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 03, 2014