We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

Which Sintra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
reviews: 38
Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

My son in law will be joining us/family who will already be in Sintra this June. He is not a frequent traveler and rarely flies alone. He will be arriving in Lisbon from the US on a Saturday morning.

What is the easiest way he can get to Sintra? I suspect it's a taxi and wondered about costs?

Bus or train would be fine but from what I've read so far he would need to make changes.

Thanks for your help.

9 replies to this topic
Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
1. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

Easiest is a taxi service, it will be around Euro 50,--.

Here's a link for a taxi service which is mentioned more often on this forum: http://www.lisbontaxis.com.pt/

And some info on public transportation. First the airport shuttle bus and then the train.

The airport shuttle bus costs €3.50 and drops you off right outside Rossio train station, this will take about 20 mins and the buses departs from the airport about every 30 minutes. The link for the shuttle bus is:

golisbon.com/transport/airport-shuttle.html

The trains to Sintra leave from Lisbon Rossio station. They leave every 15 mins and a one way ticket costs €2.15, this takes only 39 mins. The link for train: www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Chesterfield...
2. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

Thank you.

Lisbon
reviews: 1
3. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

He can also buy a taxi voucher at the tourism office at the airport...

4. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

The train or bus is the low cost solution, but you meed to start with the airport subway and then catch a train to downtown sintra. Taxi should be around 50 euros. But you should look into hotel pick ups at the place where you are staying. Most local hotels and guest houses do it for a good price.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
5. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

You can also take the metro (subway) from the Airport to Restauradores station in the city centre and from there walk into the adjacent Rossio station for trains to Sintra.

However on the metro a change of line is needed which may be less demanding than the direct Aeobus. But the metro is cheaper and takes only slightly longer.

Boston...
6. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

Thanks - very helpful.

Eagleville...
7. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

No need to go down to Lisbon Centre to go up to Sintra... we were four people trying different methods recently;

Myself and another traveller shared a taxi to the bus-station SETE RIOS (Seven Rivers?) (because this is also where the intercity buses departs, great for traveling :-D, she went to Algarve...)

lip.pt/atlas-workshop/files/bus_7rios_foz_do…

Total 13 euro which we shared. - of which some were "luggage" fees. If only hand-luggade it should be less. If you are two or more people this is cost effective. From there's a short walk... metres... to the train station. One will need to change train a few stops later; train runs on same stations as the Rosso-Sintra on several stations, so more options for the change apparently. I only waited minutes for the Sintra train -on the same plattform. Staff on train speaks english and are helpful. So... try take a taxi to a nearby railsattion, saves lots of time. It seems to be a bus from airport to Sete Rios (seven rivers) but its still not tested.

Next group used metro from airport- there's only one, cannot get wrong, then one change needed, and went of at JARDIM ZOOLOGICO, the station for the ZOO ( a great visit) and walked to the railway from there... there is a large road between, one must head southsouteast... se this fab visual guide with translations:

then same as the first trip.

Taxi from Airport.... we've had fares from 40 to 75euro to our house! The cab drivers are overconfident on their ability to find your adress... and prefer not to speak english if trouble arise. Go for a taxi with a GPS and make sure the man/woman is willing to communicate :-D There are more possible routes... and traffic at morning and afternoon peaks triple the travel time, so do accidents, there's often! I've driven many times here now and usually there's an accident in either direction, choose train if possible? Outside peaks it's easy less than 30 min.

Fares: I've tried a very effective method: having a local book the taxi for me via phone to pick up people and delivery to his place; a bar next to the "touristy" adress... wow, took "no" time and costed 40% of the offer I got... I paid 40euro from Sintra station to my house, my guests paid 12.70 when a local disguised the tourists hehe. He got tips! Also did the TAXI, he was a SINTRA taxi, not a Lisbon.

I prebooked a local taxy guy ( there are some small companies, in Colares mm) to pick up home for return airport, with a limit on 50 euro (12km further up the coast from Sintra) Made it on 46euro in peak hour. That incl quite som luggage and a guide dog.

My idea is: I would take a taxi if 2-4 travelers, and not peak hours. Especially if the destination is not near the Sintra Railway Station = end station. And I would prebook with a driver in Sintra or Colares to pick me up, likely he'll know your accomodation and maybe care about his reputation enough to be fair.

NOTE: There are two stations in Sintra, the second last is where the busses depart to villages around and where commuters park, also has a taxi stand. Which to choose depend on your further trip.

Eagleville...
8. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

Hi... I have very varied experience with Lisbon Taxi drivers... the worst ones seem far after best date of use, do not speak anything but portugese, and are overconfident in finding; no GPS... so one get a ride to remember :-/ Make sure the person behind the week can communicate with you, have both eyes open and a GPS :-D

OR: book one of the local taxi -drivers who operates out of your destination -to pick you up at airport - at a agreed prisce. They still need to use a meter, and conditions do arise... but its better than the option of a random one at airport; I have a house up the coast and fare varies from ca 45 - 75 euro... depending on how confident the traveller apparently. Try to look as if knowing where you go, and simply refuse a driver that lacks in above, it is dangerous in the traffic/motorway, so you want an alert driver with a good car. Maybe let your hotel/host bok for you. As tourist we were asked 40 euro in a trip outside Sintra... when a portugese booked for me to pick up at the Sintra Train station... the same trip costed 13.70 euro... to HIS adress, which was not a touristy one haha... it was the village bar next to ;-D Give tip to good people :-D

Eagleville...
9. Re: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra

at link above is a good help for Sete Rios Bus-station for inter city travel, Algarve mm. It also translates the signs :-D

Reply to: Easy transfer from Lisbon airport directly to Sintra
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sintra