We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours or Not?

Which Sintra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 1
Tours or Not?

We have 2 adults and 1 boy and will be in Lisbon in August. I was wondering if we should consider taking a private OR small van tour OR going independently to Sintra. From the review, there seems to be a lot of complaints involving taking the bus up/down to the castle (availability/crowds).

We are well traveled and have navigated many places independently.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
1. Re: Tours or Not?

I think it depends a little on how much you are willing to pay. Many people are happy to deal with a bit of crowding etc as you can get from Lisbon to Sintra and back on the train for €4,30 and take the bus around the various sites for €5,00 ie less than 10 Euros for your day out.

I have no idea what a private tour would cost as I am one of those people!

USA
2. Re: Tours or Not?

Thanks! A private tour would cost us 60 euros each!

How easy is it to catch the bus? I read from the reviews that the wait for the buses is long and sometimes the buses don't pick up at the right time, etc...

Doncaster, United...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Tours or Not?

hi traveltripreport,depending on time and how fit you all are you could walk to the palace and castle in a hour but remember it will be hard work especially in august.i don't know how young your lad is but coming back from the palace/castle there's a place called quinta da regaleira which is well worth a visit,especially the gardens.in my opinion you need at least two days to see all of sintra.i hope this helps and have a great trip.

USA
4. Re: Tours or Not?

We've hiked up Neuschwanstein and Burg Castle ... how tough is the hike up?

Thanks!

Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 3
5. Re: Tours or Not?

Hello!

You must consider that August is our hottest month. The temperatures can rise to more than 30°C. On the other hand Sintra is fresher than Lisbon, due to its forest and proximity to the ocean :)

Going by foot you can admire the beauty of the forest and rest in the middle if you wish! Going to the Pena palace (the highest point) will take you around 30/40min. by foot.

Unless you have your time limited, enjoy Sintra as much as you can! See here all the must-see of Sintra!

http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/index.php

Sintra, Portugal
reviews: 153
6. Re: Tours or Not?

I agree. August will be mostly busy in Sintra.

If you are willing to walk up the hill, 1h30m up, will be much better than getting at crowded buses, while enjoying the nature and landscape

Arrive earlier at the top attractions.

Let me know how can we help further.

7. Re: Tours or Not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 03, 2014