We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

Which Sintra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

I'll be visiting Sintra for a full day trip (maybe on a Wednesday or Thursday) from Rossio train station in Lisbon and returning in late afternoon/early evening. What times do the trains back to Rossio station leave Sintra station and how frequently? Also, when you arrive at Sintra station how far are the castles etc from there? Are they well signed posted? And are the three main attractions (Palacio Nacional de Sinatra, Palacio Nacional de Pena and Castelo dos Mouros) near to one another (ie. within pretty easy walking distance to each other?) If not, are there any buses that'll take you from one to the other? Finally, what are the opening times to these places?

Thanks for any help and input!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
1. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

Hello

I was in Sintra yesterday but didn't visit the castle.

Don't worry about the trains - there are at least 4 every hour until 1956 then 2 or 3 an hour until 2256, 2326 etc until 0056 ie just before 1 am.

It cost me €3.30 return; journey 40 minutes.

There are plenty of signs to the various attractions and I did spot that the castle is on top of a spectacularly tall hill - but there was a little bus I noticed. Outside the station are several bus stops and the tourist office isn't far.

Sintra looks to be pretty walkable if a bit hilly; I was bound for further afield so didn't check out the details, sorry.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 1
2. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

First I must say that I have not been there yet, but according to my notes, there is a bus#434 that costs 3.85 euro for all day, that loops around continually. Have a great trip! Barney

uk
3. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. It looks like a very nice place for a full day visit.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 7
4. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

we visited sintra and loved it.. although you should know that one of the palaces (Palacio Nacional de Sintra) is closed on Wednesdays so we missed that one. some people walk between the palaces but we took a tram as it is quite a hike uphill and some very narrow roads

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
5. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

I have re-visited Sintra myself and updated the inside page

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189164-s302/Sintra:P…

with information about the 434 bus, which runs every 15 minutes in the summer connecting the station/centre with the Castle and Palace etc.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 7
6. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

Note:

we took the bus there, then took our time exploring the area and decided to stay and eat dinner there. When we went to catch the bus back to Estoril, we found out they stopped running at 7pm. So we had to take the train which went via Lisbon and took 1 1/2 hours instead of the 40 minutes it took by bus!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
7. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

The previous post is interesting, as according to the current timetables on the Scotturb website, the last run on bus 418 between Sintra Station and Estoril is at 1125pm except on Sundays when it is 1010pm.

I was there only a couple of weeks ago.

In the interests of keeping future visitors up to date, I hope someone can verify this unpublicised change.

8. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:43 am, August 09, 2008
9. Re: Sintra Transport and Castle Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sintra