We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bairrio Alto or the Alfama?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
Bairrio Alto or the Alfama?

I've read conflicting information on both neighborhoods and now I'm a little confused. I'm looking for the most authentic, least tourist-y part of town in which to rent an apartment for a week. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Madrid
reviews: 2
1. Re: Bairrio Alto or the Alfama?

Both are two of the most tourist areas in Lisbon, perhaps Alfama is a bit more tourist. I had read conflicting information but I stayed four days last December in Lisbon and I hadn’t any problem. Perhaps Alfama is a bit more authentic too. If you choose Barrio Alto, go to Cervejeria Trinidade, good food and good price. Enjoy Lisbon.

Lisbon
reviews: 6
2. Re: Bairrio Alto or the Alfama?

Alfama is a better place to live, it has a life of its own. Bairro Alto is a better place to go out at night, full of bars, restaurants, discos and trendy shops. I would choose Alfama.

Lisbon
reviews: 6
3. Re: Bairrio Alto or the Alfama?

Or you could stay at Graça. A neighbourhood close to Alfama. It has less tourists, yet it's authentic and more pratical than Alfama in terms of public transportation, parking, shops, and so on.

Lisbon
reviews: 5
4. Re: Bairrio Alto or the Alfama?

Avoid Bairro Alto if you want to sleep well! :)

more seriously, Bairro Alto takes you closer to confusion (day and night) than Alfama. If you're looking for a peaceful place to stay i'd advice you Alfama.

Besides, i personally think that Bairro Alto looses some "magic" during the daylight....

both are tourist parts of the town...i don't think one is more than the other...so it seems to me that this should not be the main reason for your decision....

have a nice stay!

5. Re: Bairrio Alto or the Alfama?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, August 23, 2009