We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Mafra, then a week in Alvor

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
Week in Mafra, then a week in Alvor

We are attending a wedding in Mafra where we are staying for a week and then we have 6 nights booked in Alvor. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. Should we be getting a rental car for the 2 weeks? We intend to do site-seeing, but I'm not sure we want a car to get around in Lisbon, we could use a taxi or public transportation. We do have others in our party that will have rental cars.

2. If I don't get a rental car, what is the best way to get to Alvor from Mafra and from Alvor back to Lisbon for our flight home?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
1. Re: Week in Mafra, then a week in Alvor

1. There is a good bus service between Mafra and Lisbon. You don't need a car in Lisbon. You could drive to one of the metro (underground) stations in the suburbs and park there as an alternative.

2. Without a car, the most straightforward way to get to Alvor is by bus then coach. There is no railway station either in Mafra or Alvor.

The local bus from Mafra will take you to Lisbon's Campo Grande bus station. From there you can take the metro to Sete Rios, where the long distance bus station is found. From there regular coaches run to Portimão which is 4 miles from Alvor. A short taxi ride is probably the best way to complete the trip as the local bus service has been drastically reduced.

Local buses at Mafra www.mafrense.pt only in Portuguese

Coaches Lisbon - Portimão www.rede-expressos.pt available in English

The whole trip would, I reckon take at least 5 hours more like 6.

There is another coach service that does run direct Lisbon - Alvor operated by RENEX - www.renex.pt their site is only in Portuguse and they don't sell tickets on line. They use the Lisbon Oriente bus terminal which is very roundabout metro ride or a 20 minute bus ride from Campo Grande.

Hope that helps.

There are no direct trains between Lisbon and Portimão, so nothing to be gained time-wise.

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 34
2. Re: Week in Mafra, then a week in Alvor

If you want to visit Lisboa itself, you have public transports from Mafra (the bus company it's called Mafrense). I'm assuming that you are staying in Mafra and not at small village close to Mafra. Because if that's the case you may not have public transports. If you want to explore the surroundings around Mafra (Ericeira, Sintra, etc), without entering in Lisboa, it's better to have a rented car.

To go to Alvor you have to go to Lisboa and take a bus or the train to Portimão, and then I suppose that you to take a taxi to Alvor.

3. Re: Week in Mafra, then a week in Alvor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, June 20, 2013
Edited: 11:17 am, June 20, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
reviews: 27
4. Re: Week in Mafra, then a week in Alvor

Reported reply3 (this and other posts wth same poster same content).

Edited: 8:29 am, June 20, 2013
5. Re: Week in Mafra, then a week in Alvor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 22, 2014