We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 7
Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

Hello!

I'm just starting to plan our trip to Portugal and Spain in May. This itinerary is still very much in its raw stage. I'm seeking your help in putting this itinerary together in a best way possible considering we only have 2 weeks. We will be using the public transport--trains/buses. Your help/input/suggestions are much appreciated.

Day 1 & 2 - arrive Lisbon. Visit one or two museums; explore city center

Day 3 - p.m. bus to Fatima; attend services and overnight

Day 4 - in Fatima till noon; p.m. train/bus to Porto and overnight

Day 5 - take Douro river cruise (1 day only) and overnight

Day 6 - to Seville; overnight

Day 7 - to Granada; overnight

Day 8 - to Madrid

Day 9-13 - in Madrid (Toledo & Segovia day trips)

Day 14 - airport

Questions about transportation:

1) is there a train from Porto to Seville? Or do I have to go back to Lisbon and take a bus to Seville?

2) is there a train from Seville to Granada; Granada to Madrid?

3) or should I go back to Lisbon (from Porto) and take the trenhotel to Madrid and just do Seville & Granada from Madrid.

Thank you!!!

Beenthere~

Los Angeles, CA
11. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

barlaventoexp....

we enjoy traveling on European trains! it's luxurious and relaxing! we don't experience a lot of train travel in the US; it's either we drive our cars or take the plane.

May weather will not pose any problem for us. hotter weather would be our preference especially me who can't handle the cold.

thank you for the tip!

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
12. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

No. Regarding the Lusitânia at CP site you can read "You can get your tickets from CP Ticket Offices up to 62 days before your journey. And now you can also get them online from the Spanish Rail Network (RENFE) site under the conditions given below. Potential customers are advised to read the information about the seats or berths that are available on the Lusitânia Train Hotel." You can buy the ticket while here in Portugal (I doubt that they ever sell out), but if you want to do it only via CP site you'll be redirected to RENFE site.

www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Los Angeles, CA
13. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

64novpt...

i'm confused. from Porto to Coimbra...is that Lusitania Train? and buy from CP site? and ticket from Coimbra to Madrid is on renfe.com site? two different sites for two different trains. can you please clarify?

on CP site, I found the train timetable and prices. particularly, i would like to leave Porto at 19:52pm, IC train, arrive Coimbra at 20:56pm. Then connect with Trenhotel at 23:37pm, arrive MAD 8:20am. does this make sense?

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
reviews: 36
14. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

Cubsur!!!!

Heellllllllpppppppppp!!!

;))))

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
15. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

Coimbra-B it's not in the city, why do you want to sit there for 2h waiting for the train, at night? When you have a train that does the connection.

16. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:26 pm, January 26, 2013
Edited: 5:26 pm, January 26, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
reviews: 27
17. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

If I understand your question correctly: you'll have to take the train (not Lusitania which is an international train) from Porto to Coimbra B and buy the tickets at the cp site. From Coimbra B to Madrid -Chamartin you must take the Lusitania train and you must buy tickets at renfe the spanish site.

As said before me Coimbra B is outside the city of Coimbra, don't confuse it with the other train station that serves Coimbra and its called Coimbra.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
18. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

I think somebody should start a petition to cp.py to ask them to change the names of the stations at Coimbra to:

Coimbra A - Coimbra - Avda. Emídio Navarro

Coimbra B - Estação "Coimbra do Choupal"

;)))))))))

It would be a whole ot easier!!!!

Los Angeles, CA
19. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

64novpit....

"Coimbra-B it's not in the city, why do you want to sit there for 2h waiting for the train, at night? When you have a train that does the connection."

Not really!

Please "hold my hand" in this case. i'm not sure how to do this.

Thanks again.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
20. Re: Itinerary Review - Portugal to Spain

OK! Lets start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start!!!

1) There is one combined international train to Spain and France that leaves Lisbon Sta. Apolonia at 21.18 daily.

This train runs via COIMBRA-B to Medina de Campos in Spain.

It is a COMBINED train carrying Lusitânia Comboio Hotel Express passengers destined for Madrid Charmartin Station AND ALSO Sud Expresso Passengers heading to Hendaye where they change to an SNCF TGV for onward travel to Paris Montparnasse .

COIMBRA-B is a station on the north outskirts of Coimbra through which all Express trains (Alfa-Pendular and Intercidades) between Lisbon and Porto run!

2) At MEDINA DE CAMPOS in Spain,on the other side of Salamanca, the train splits into to two section. One section heading off as the Sud Expresso to Hendaye. The other section runs as the Lusitânia Comboio Hotel Express to Madrid Charmartin.

3) This train DOES NOT run via Porto.

4) To connect with it from Porto you must do the following:

a) Buy a ticket for an internal trip on a CP Portuguese Railways train from Porto Campanha Station to COIMBRA-B. This can be done online at the www.cp.pt website.

b) You then need to buy an INTERNATIONAL rail ticket for the trip from COIMBRA-B (departing at 23:37) to Madrid Charmartin Station.

The Portuguese cp.pt website recommends that these are purchased online via the www.renfe.es (spanish railways website)

5) The train from Porto shown connecting with the Combined Lusitânia Comboio Hotel Express/ Sud Expresso train (which will split at Medina de Campos ) and as quoted in the www.cp.pt timetable, is the Intercidades 22:00 departure from Porto Campanha arriving at COIMBRA-B at 23.21.

6) If you take the earlier train from Porto Campanha at 19:52 arriving at COIMBRA-B at 20:56, as has been said before, you will just hang around the station for two and a half hours. It is really not enough time to take a cab, visit the centre of the city and enjoy it!

e) If you are worried about missing you connection to the Madrid train, it would be better to get the 20:47 Alfa-Pendular departure from Porto-Campanha arriving COIMBRA-B at 21h45.

You can then simply cross the line, sit in the waiting room, maybe get a coffee if the station cafe is open, and then board the train to Madrid.

I do hope this is clear enough!!