We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

Hi,

I'm trying to buy one way train ticket to Porto from Lisbon on January 1st. And I get this error message on their website

"WS1: No dia de viagem escolhido o comboio de ida não se encontra disponível para venda, pois não é possível assegurar a sua realização. Lamentamos os incómodos causados."

which google translates into

:WS1: On the chosen day trip train trip is not available for sale, because it is not possible to ensure its realization. We apologize for any inconvenience caused."

I also checked on the Christmas day and looks like I get the same message. I'm assuming I can't buy tickets online on major holidays? or does this mean the train might not run that day? Or do I just buy it at the station?

Thanks in advance!

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
1. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

No, it means that they are on strike. They are doing a strike to all holidays, and both Christmas day and New Years day are holidays.

Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
2. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

Here's a link for the bus company: http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx

It's a 3 1/2 hr trip for Euro 19,--.

Los Angeles...
3. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

Thank you!

I guess bus it is :)

I'm assuming there's no metro running that day, so only way to get to Sete Rios is taking a cab, right?

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
4. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

No, the metro will be running, it has nothing to do with the trains strike, different companies.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
5. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

There is no official notice of strike action planned for 1st January I can find.

However, as nov64pt says, the railways have been on strike on every public holiday for some time, as they are in dispute over additional pay for working those days.

The current train timetable listing for 1st January show the first train out of Lisbon to Porto at 0930 am and the system will allow me to buy a ticket if I want one.

With its usual disregard for the few remaining customers, CP announced yesterday, at 5 days notice, that many trains will be cancelled on the evening of 24th December as well as almost all service, because of the strike, on 25th December. This despite that fact that the reservation system for long distance trains had been selling tickets for 25th December until yesterday. Now, they don't even know if they can run trains four days ahead in time, hence the message.

It is clear that the railways of Portugal are in terminal decline and soon the only to way to travel between cities will be by bus.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
reviews: 36
6. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

I second Cubsur's answer!

Use the bus!

Sintra, Portugal
reviews: 149
7. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

Here you go about train warnings from CP

www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
8. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

And there is now a notice about a strike on January 1st. No trains are expected to be running apart from a handful of intercity services decreed as minimum service by law..

The 'no notice' strikes on other days affecting urban and regional routes are continuing.

Train travel is doomed in Portugal which is what the government wants. Someone has obviously worked out that it will be cheaper to have several thousand workers on unemployment and social security benefits than it is to pay to run a railway.

Sintra, Portugal
reviews: 149
9. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

Portuguese rail company needs a privatization to stop playing with people, they are always on strikes affecting both portuguese workers and foreigners that want to travel.

It's a shame. They are very very well paid aside from social benefits.

10. Re: Train from Lisbon to Porto - on Jan 1st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 24, 2013