We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland Oregon
reviews: 8
SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

We booked train tickets from Lisbon to Porto. Although I put specific times in when I booked when we received the vouchers, they have no times on them. It says I have to make an additional reservation for a specific time. Can I do that when we arrive or can I do that prior to arrival?

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 46
1. Re: SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

"SCNF" it's what? Are you referring to the french train company SNCF?

The portuguese train company it's CP (www.cp.pt). If you buy the tickets online with CP you'll have to reserve the specific train and seat and you'll receive the final ticket. With other companies I don't know, try to contact CP at this contact "Outside the country: (+351) 707 201 280 (international call cost)"

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
reviews: 36
2. Re: SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

Eh?

I know that the Portuguese Govt. is flogging off TAP, the national airline and ANA, the airport authority, but I have not heard that they have sold CP, the National Railway operator to SNCF, the French national rail operator!

Sacre Bleu! If they have, we're in for even more strikes on the national railways!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
3. Re: SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

As you DIDN'T book with CP you have been sold what is, in effect, a travel voucher. Seat reservation is compulsory on all trains between Lisbon and Porto, so you will have to go to the ticket office (allow plenty of time, lines are long) and have the ticket validated for the specific train you wish to travel with.

There is a small charge for seat reservations made in this way. CP do not charge for reservations when tickets are purchased on their site.

I don't think you can make this sort of reservation on line.You may be able to do so via the call centre as mentioned above.

Edited: 3:20 am, December 15, 2012
Portland Oregon
reviews: 8
4. Re: SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

Thank you for your help. Yes, what we have is an open voucher for the train with no specific times. I booked through Raileurope. The voucher has SNCF on it--why I do not know. My problem is I'm leaving on Tuesday. I will call the CP international line. Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
5. Re: SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

Your mistake was to use RailEurope. It is an agency that charges high fees on top of the actual ticket prices. Avoid it in future, and book direct with the train operator.

Saint Paul
reviews: 69
6. Re: SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

Nick:

Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't do their homework, and are sucked in by Rail Europe..............Happened to us once, but never again.

CocaP, always book with the railroad in the country in which you want to travel.

Bucks
reviews: 2
7. Re: SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

Rail Europe is being rather naughty in selling open tickets without a reservation for a reservation-compulsory train!

And at full-price international TCV tariff, not the cheap fares you can get direct with CP. Rail Europe, a subsidiary of SNCF, cannot access CP's cheap fares, nor access CP's reservation system to make a reservation as it's not connected.

The Portuguese Railways website www.cp.pt would have sold you a ticket including a reservation, from just €31.50

8. Re: SCNF Train Tickets: Lisbon to Porto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 21, 2013