We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
reviews: 15
Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

Have seen many comments and horror stories related to car rentals in Portugal...We are looking to rent inLisbon for travel outside the city for one week. Avis quoted $30 USD per day with no mention of deposits....is this misleading?????

Thanks,

Stan

Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
1. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

Avis has many different plans for members. Are you a member?

new jersey
2. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

Yes, but I did not inquire as one!!

new jersey
3. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

Went thru the process without actually making the reservation. There was no provision for a deposit!!!???

Sintra, Portugal
reviews: 150
4. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

30 USD so cheap !?!?

new jersey
5. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

Agreed....Too cheap....doesn't feel right...will check the other majors to see if it is in line...Will post results for others...."When something is too good to be true, it usually is"....

NJ
reviews: 21
6. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

I booked mine through Sixt. An Opal Corsa 1.3 for 10 days, total cost including tax is 273 euros. For unlimited mileage, and comprehensive loss and damage and theft with zero deduction. I used Sixt before for traveling in Germany, Austria and Czech and was very satisfied with their service.

Sintra, Portugal
reviews: 150
7. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

Awesome price rh1home. 27 euro per day looks a great deal!

Hampshire, UK
reviews: 62
8. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

We've booked a ford fiesta for the first week in December, from Lisbon to Faro for Euros 80 plus extra driver plus extra no excess insurance. Argus car hire with SIXT.

In low season you can get good deals!

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
9. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

I was in France this year and paid 380 USD for 11 days, intermediate car. This was prepaid, the only extra was the surcharge for train station pick up. I declined extra insurance in France because I used AMEX card that gives insurance as a benefit. Check your options for Portugal. Your 30/day is a good price, not suspiciously ridiculous.

Just to give you some European comparables, maybe.

Redditch, United...
reviews: 16
10. Re: Car Rental----What Am I Missing??????

I checked from the UK Avis site and got quotes for the 1st week in December for between £100 and £150 for the week. ($160 - $240) so roughly comparable.

Portuguese car hire is in a mess. You will get a cheap quote on line and when you actually pick up the car you will find all kinds of extras.

Insurance - If you don't pay for their expensive insurance you are likely to find that you are charged for some minor damage that you didn't notice when you collected the car. You can claim it back if you are insured elsewhere but it is a hassle to get the necessary documentation.

Deposit - They will put a charge on your CC for €1000 to €2000 depending on the company and the car. Any extra costs like damage or tolls will be charged to the card with no explanation.

Fuel - The most common arrangement is for them to charge you for a full tank, regardless of whether you will need that much fuel and how much is in the tank when you return.

Edited: 8:00 am, November 20, 2012