We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
paris
reviews: 15
Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

I am planning to take the train from lisbon to porto in mid october.

I have the following questions

Will train traffic be normal by mid oct.or could there be other strikes.

Which train is better alfa pendular or IC

From the marquis de pombal area,which station is best.santa apolina or oriente.?

How does bus travel to porto compare to train?

Obrigado

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
1. Re: Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

Will train traffic be normal by mid oct.or could there be other strikes.

These strikes have been taking place for over a year. Sometimes they are announced at only two weeks notice, so the situation is at best uncertain.

Which train is better alfa pendular or IC

Alfa Pendular is faster but more expensive than IC.

From the marquis de pombal area,which station is best.santa apolina or oriente.?

Santa Apolonia is closer and on the same metro line. However two of the ALFA trains stop at Entrecampos station, not Santa Apolonia, which is also on a direct metro line from Marques Pombal and a little closer than Santa Apolonia.

Edited: 3:50 am, October 02, 2012
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
2. Re: Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

I should add that reservation is compulsory for all trains to Porto so if you go to the www.cp.pt website for tickets you will discover (I hope) which trains are operating on a certain day.

However this week's strikes were announced at short notice after people had already bought tickets which are now being refunded or changed.

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
3. Re: Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

November 1st it's a holiday in Portugal, and since trains have announced strikes for every holiday (national or local), there'll probably be some kind of strike around this date.

paris
4. Re: Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

Thank you for your reply.Am I correct in assuming that with 2 weeks strike notice ,the possibility of another one by oct 19 is very low.

Is bus travel to Porto another good alternative?

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
5. Re: Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

The possibility is low, and the bus is really an alternative.

paris
6. Re: Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

Based on input from Lisbon friends,it seems the best solution about not being caught in a strike is to buy the train ticket a day or 2 before the trip.

7. Re: Train strike in lisbon.Oct 1-5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 15, 2013