We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 6
Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Hi all. Trying to find this info without posting a new message but a lot of what I found is old. Need up to date info so here I am. Leaving for Lisbon on Thursday, for 5 days, and though I will walk a lot I am tipping I will need some sort of transport pass as there might be a few too many hills for me! I don't think I will need the Lisboa card as I won't go to many (if any) museums so do I just get a normal tram/bus/train pass and if so, which one? I was told about one called Carris, or from a Carris shop (?), are they easy to find?

Thanks!

Pam

34 replies to this topic
hampshire
reviews: 31
21. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Also would we need separate cards for both the metro and train?

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 34
22. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

VivaViagem is valid for busses, trams, "elevadores", metro, train and ferry... Load it with 20€ (zapping option) at your arrival, it will last for long time.

hampshire
reviews: 31
23. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Sorry I'm a little confused as on the CP site "www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…" it says " The card only lets you load one kind of ticket at a time, so you cannot load a new kind of ticket until you have used all the previous ones. This means that if you have loaded 10 subway tickets, you cannot load a CP train ticket until all the subway tickets have been used." So can we buy one via viagem each that will cover us for both the metro from the airport to Cais de Sodre & the train from Cais de Sodre to Cascais or will we have to buy separate cards ie one for the metro and one for the train? Or am I looking at a different type of ticket? It's just the CP web site is a little confusing..

Lisbon
Destination Expert
24. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

What's on the site is absolutely correct that's why it's more advantageous to load money and not to buy individual tickets.

If you buy a VivaViagem card each and load each with money (Zapping option) you can use it at any of the mentioned public transports. The validation machines (at each public transport) will automatically deduct the corresponding amount, which is always lower than the price of an individual ticket.

"ZAPPING is a transport title that allows the loading of money in the Viva Viagem card that will be deducted when the card is validated in the different transport modes, according the cost laid down by each operator (CP, Metro, Carris and Transtejo/Soflusa) for each trip."

Munich, Germany
reviews: 6
25. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

let me see if I get this right: I arrive in Lisbon, buy a Viva Viagem, with zapping option, load it with (let's say) 15 euro and I can use it for the next few days until the money run out?

Lisbon
Destination Expert
26. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Mihail 75 - Yes, you can.

Scotland
reviews: 127
27. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

An update - September 2013 - the transport operators are now allowing 1 integrated ticket for use on Suburban rail (as far as Sintra!) Metro, bus, tram and funiculars.

Go to any ticket machine at a suburban railway station or to a Carris shop - it has instructions in at least 3 languages and choose the zapping option. You pay € 0.50 for a card, valid for a year, and you top up the card at any machine - called zapping - up to € 15 at a time. I think the software is being upgraded to tell you on the ticket machine how much you have on the card - it is very hard to read the same information on the machines on the bus/tram/station entrance. Always validate your jorney - there are a lot of ticket inspectors about!

We needed to zap more frequently thought, but we made a number of rail to metro to bus journeys to get around, and I do not think the system is as sophisticated as London's oyster system which puts a maximum daily charge on all your travel and updates your card automatically.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
28. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Yes the Cascais and Sintra suburban rail lines (and some others) were included in the zapping tariff last year, but you do have to remember to touch out as with Oyster or the system doesn't know what you are doing. And I agree it is quite difficult to touch the card and read the balance on the tiny screen at the same time.

I was caught out on my last visit to Lisbon when I got on a bus with not enough credit and had to fumble around for cash with lots of people tut-tutting etc!

But it's a big improvement on only a few years ago when separate tickets were needed for everything.

Incidentally I was reading that Lisbon has one of the lowest percentages of public transport use of any European xcapital city, which given that most of the buses, metro and trams are packed probably means a lot of people aren't paying the correct fares. They did nearly double the fares a couple of years ago at the start of the financial crisis however.

Edited: 1:29 pm, September 27, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
reviews: 22
29. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Hi, cubsur;

Can you explain what you mean by "touch out"? Do you have to scan your pass again when leaving the vehicle or station?

Lisbon
Destination Expert
30. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

At the bus no, only at the entrance. At the metro yes, when entering and when exiting. At the train it depends on which station you're exiting, in some yes in others no.

Reply to: Transport card/pass in Lisbon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted