We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or Train Info Vitoria (or Bilbao) to Fatima

Which Fatima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
reviews: 20
Bus or Train Info Vitoria (or Bilbao) to Fatima

Hi!

We're going to Fatima for a weekend on August 6 and we're coming from Vitoria, Spain. Is there a train or bus that travels this route? Eveything seems to come from Lisboa.

Additional information on trip schedule and cost would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
1. Re: Bus or Train Info Vitoria (or Bilbao) to Fatima

There is only one train each day from Vitoria into Portugal. This is the Sud Express Tren Hotel which leaves Vitoria at 0021 and it arrives in the station called Fatima at 0912.

So you can travel direct but...

The station called Fatima is 25km from the town!

There is a bus from there to Fatima town at 1025 but it does not run at weekends.

It may be be better to get off the train at Coimbra-B (arrival time 0821) from where there is a daily bus to Fatima at 0930. The bus station in Coimbra is about 1km from the railway station.

Train details and reservations on line at www.renfe.es - these should be available 90 days before travel and you should make a reservation as early as possible as the train is very busy in summer and may sell out. There is no alternative direct route; every other route would entail going to Madrid then onwards from there.

Bus details Coimbra to Fatima at www.rede-expressos.pt

Otherwise, as you say, it is necessary to go all the way to Lisbon, make your way across the city to the Sete Rios Bus Station and from there take the bus to Fatima.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 11:51 am, February 07, 2011
Manila, Philippines
reviews: 20
2. Re: Bus or Train Info Vitoria (or Bilbao) to Fatima

Thank you for your advice :-)

Taking these into consideration, we will most likely go Vitoria to Lisbon via train, Lisbon to Fatima via bus, then Fatima to Vitoria via a night train or bus.

My question is, is there a bus or train route from Fatima to Bilbao (or Vitoria) or do we have to backtrack to Lisbon instead to catch s bus or train back to Vitoria?

Thanks again!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
3. Re: Bus or Train Info Vitoria (or Bilbao) to Fatima

No, you don't have to go to Lisbon. That same train, the Sud Express, in the reverse direction leaves Fatima at 17.50, Coimbra-B at 18.53 and arrives in Vitoria at the rather unpleasant hour of 04.44am.

The buses of Rede-Expressos can take you from Fatima to Coimbra easily enough to make the connection with the train.

If you are headed for Bilbao it might be better to take that train to San Sebastian/Donostia (arrival 06.36) and then the train from there to Bilbao.

(Although the Sud Express stops in Mirando do Ebro at 04.18 there is no train from there to Bilbao until 1120 so far as I can tell from information I have, but Spain is not really in my area of knowledge.)

There is no direct train route between Vitoria and Bilbao and I do not know about any buses there might be between either Miranda do Ebro and Bilbao or Vitoria and Bilbao.

Otherwise so far as I am aware it would necessary to travel via Madrid. ALSA (www.alsa.es) has a daily bus service from Fatima to Madrid leaving at 0915 but takes 10hrs 30 minutes to get to Madrid. And you are still a long way from Vitoria or Bilbao.

4. Re: Bus or Train Info Vitoria (or Bilbao) to Fatima

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 18, 2012