We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

Which Cascais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tirana, Albania
Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

I will be arriving in Lisbon the 18th of September and I'd love to make a quick stop to see Palácio Nacional da Pena (Sintra) and Boca de inferno (Cascais), before heading for Algarve.

1. Which of these two places I go first?

2. How long does it take from Lisbon airport to the first place? And from that point to the second one?

Thank you :-)

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
1. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

What's a "quick stop"? Will you have a car?

If not, you'll have to go from the airport to a train station (Cais do Sodré to go to Cascais or Rossio to go to Sintra), take a train, visit what you want and take a bus that connects Sintra to Cascais (or vice-versa), return to Lisboa by train and take another public transport to your bus or train to the Algarve. I think it's easy to imagine that this will take a good part of a full day, do you have it?

Tirana, Albania
2. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

Thank you for the reply. :-) I really meant by car (I will rent one at the airport for my whole 10 days vacation) That's fine with me if I visit both places in a full day. I needed to know will it take longer to go to Sintra or Cascais? Which do I choose to go first from Lisbon airport?

Thanks again :-)

Lisbon
Destination Expert
3. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

If a full day it's ok, go from the airport to Sintra, it's very easy. If you arrive after 10am you'll not get that much traffic (it will take about 30-40 min). From Sintra to Cascais you can take the road via Colares, Azóia and Cabo da Roca (the westernmost point in Europe), Guincho and Boca do Inferno (with a few stops it will take you 50-60 min). There's a quicker route to Cascais but much less interesting (Sintra, Linhó, Alcabideche, Cascais).

Tirana, Albania
4. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

Perfect. Thank you so much. There are sooooo many things to see in Portugal, that I am reorganizing my "must-see" list every day. I am finding it difficult to choose which places to include and which to leave out.

Lisbon
Destination Expert
5. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

Just don't try to see too much this time, come again...

Tirana, Albania
6. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

I usually go once in every place I choose for vacation. But since I discovered the beauties of Portugal, I believe I will return many times. Oh, by the way, can you suggest a city to stay in the Algarve? I love nice restaurants by the sea, lovely narrow streets, great nightlife and souvenir shops. I read from the internet, that Albufeira fits the description best.

Lisbon
Destination Expert
7. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

I'm biased in what it concerns Albufeira, I think that it's one of the worst examples of tourist development in Portugal, but lots of people love it. In fact you'll find nightlife, souvenir shops, restaurants and something that they call the Old Town and everything written in english. Sorry but that's my opinion...

Tirana, Albania
8. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

Don't feel sorry, I appreciate what you are saying. Thank you for your sincere opinion. Can I ask what place do you suggest instead, please? In terms of traditional and lovely city? I am confused about choosing where to stay, because there's only a picture in my mind: a beautiful traditional city by the sea, to really taste Portugal in everything, not some place arranged for tourists where everything is written in English, and full of Chinese souvenirs (I read in the internet that I might find that) I hate being disappointed, that's why I love to hear the opinion of a native.

Lisbon
Destination Expert
9. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

Look at some info here http://www.algarveuncovered.com/. I like Tavira, Silves, but by the sea Lagos it's an option, and with a car you can explore the western end (Sagres), Aljezur area and the western Atlantic coast beaches.

Tirana, Albania
10. Re: Palácio Nacional da Pena and Boca de inferno from Lisbon

Yes, this website is familiar to me. I will take into consideration Lagos. I've read that Lagos is chosen as number one for vacation for the year 2012. Thanks for the reply. Very helpful :-)

Get answers to your questions about Cascais