We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Cruelty/bullfights

Which Coimbra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
reviews: 2
Animal Cruelty/bullfights

I am considering buying a property in Portugal and am coming to BEiras region on the 18th March to look around.Does anyone know if there are bullfights held in the area.I don't want to live near one.

Also I have been tolod that I may see lots of animal cruelty, is this the case?I would be glad of any advice over which areas may be better to avoid such things.

Thank you in anticipation

Lesley

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 34
1. Re: Animal Cruelty/bullfights

What's the Beiras for you? If you take it literally it's most of the center of Portugal (1/4 of the country). A bullfight it's held at a bullfight ring so you see it only if you go there.

Costa Adeje, Spain
reviews: 20
2. Re: Animal Cruelty/bullfights

Glup

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
reviews: 62
3. Re: Animal Cruelty/bullfights

Bullfight tradition is more connected to the south rather than the north of the country. I do not recall any arena in Beiras area but there might be some smaller towns that have some tradition.

About animal cruelty I do not know enough of the comparison between Portugal and other countries to tell you anything. Maybe in some areas animals tended to be seen more as a part of work but that does not mean people would necessarily be cruel to them. I do believe that legally, the protection of animal rights might still be not as advanced as in other countries.

Fonte Boa
reviews: 7
4. Re: Animal Cruelty/bullfights

It depends very much on whether you want to live in an urban or rural location.

If you are particularly sensitive to animal care then I would go for an Urban area.

Sadly, in some respects, Portugal does not have the record of Britain in this regard.

If you live in a small village, particularly in the interior party of the country you will find cats and dogs on the street and rough treatment of cattle.

By this I mean cats are free to roam, and usually are fed in different houses.

While most dogs will be used as guard dogs you might find some strays.

Animals are kept for their utility, not company like what might happen in cities.

Attitude by most small farmers was and is a no nonsense one. There was no desire in provoking pain in animal or allow it to become sick. In many ways they were and are more careful than the large meat growers of today. The loss of an animal would be a tragedy for a small family since so was money and toil was invested in it. They would also customarily be grown to sell on and make a little money, rarely for meat, pig being the exception for the long storage ability with salt. Slaughtering the pig at home, as well as other meat animals is prohibited due to hygiene rules. However you will still find it nowadays.

Pig slaughter would be the less palatable one, as the pigs blood is desired for cooking. Hence the pig is allowed to die slowly and squeals the whole way through.

This was (maybe still is) a common practice with Spain, France (maybe Italy as well).

Fonte Boa
reviews: 7
5. Re: Animal Cruelty/bullfights

On the bullfighting, As far as I am aware it is more common in the center-south of Portugal. There is an arena in Povoa do Varzim (north of Porto), but that is the only one I know north of Douro river.

There is also garraiadas like in Ponte de Lima (Minho region). Vaca das Cordas ( roped cows) is actually a bull, there are no professional bullfighters, just ordinary people tempting fate and spectators watching the bravery/stupidity of those (usually young men). The animals are not poked with irons by men in frilly hats like ordinary bullfighting. This is a once a year event.

6. Re: Animal Cruelty/bullfights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:43 am, June 18, 2013