We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses to the beach

Which Ponta Delgada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tunbridge Wells...
reviews: 4
Buses to the beach

I'm off to the Azores next week (and very excited!), I know it's not a beach holiday but thought it'd be nice to go to the beach one day. We're not hiring a car (unless we manage to get a deal while we're out there) so is there any way of getting to the beach by bus? Or is taxi the way to go, and if so how much from the city to the nearest beach? Thanks

New Orleans...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Buses to the beach

I'm not really a beach person but there is a beach outside the city that I've passed on the bus on my way to the other end of the island - I would guess it's about 15-20 minutes away maybe closer. Buses go that way all the time and there is a special open top bus that takes people there and back in the summer months which costs 10 Euro - regular bus service would be much cheaper. You can also get a driver to take you there - there are several taxi stands in in the center of town and I doubt that it would cost more than 10 Euro. Povoacao which is a small town at the eastern end of the island has a great beach which is very popular in the summer - the bus there is under 5 Euros and the drive along the coast is glorious. Furnas is near by and itwould make a great day-trip. The bus leaves the city at 9am and returns at 4pm during the week - 5pm on weekends - you can get bus schedules at the tourism office on the avenue. The city also has a great pool although it is a very young crowd that populates it.

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 6
2. Re: Buses to the beach

If you want a change from the beach there is also rock pool swimming at Mosteiros at the very southwest end of Sao Miguel. Buses are fairly frequent, get off in the centre of the village and head for the far end! There you will find the pools (and there might also have been a small beach - cant remember).

A nice alternative is bus to Joao Bom (northwest corner) via the north coast and then walk the road around the end of the island to Mosteiros (about 5 miles) swim then bus back on south side.... great day.

There are quite a lot buses so you can to get to most places and cheaply.

3. Re: Buses to the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 30, 2009