We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different from the Caribbean island?

reviews: 22
Different from the Caribbean island?

We are considering going to Sao Migual in June, 2014. We have spent time in many of the Caribbean islands since we have lived in FL and GA. Can anybody tell me who has been to both if there is a big difference in the feel of these islands?

Sao Miguel, Azores.
reviews: 10
11. Re: Different from the Caribbean island?

I've sent you a personal message, but I hope that I can make some good suggestions for you for places to stay while you are here. I would love to hear your thoughts. I agree with everything that people have said about our island. It really is an Island of Paradise, not to be missed. I'm glad you are planning already. There are so many beautiful places to see and stay, here, it will be a difficult decision to make when the time comes. I hope I can help you out. Lisa.

Milford, New...
reviews: 2
12. Re: Different from the Caribbean island?

The Azores is very beautiful- lush but not so tropical. We stayed on Sau Miguel. The food is outstanding, plenty to do- parks, tea plantation, caves, tours of all kind, festivals etc. Just exploring the smaller towns was so much fun- very quaint. We were there for 10 days and were never bored. The people are lovely and very helpful. You won't be sorry that you went. Would be happy to share restaurant info

and our itinerary if needed.

Book it!

DW - USA

Milford, New...
reviews: 2
13. Re: Different from the Caribbean island?

Be careful if you are trying to travel during the big festival in Ponta Delgada - SATA has gone on strike the last two years and it is very disruptive. We had to change our dates due to this - either get there well before the festival or wait until it is over. I will return there but not during that time.

Ontario
reviews: 113
14. Re: Different from the Caribbean island?

We just booked to go in June 2014 as well - the end of June.. I was also in Europe last June but what attracted us to the Azores was the 4.3hr flight from North America - unlike our 10hr flight this past summer.. Also my Brother and his wife went last year and absolutely fell in love with Sao Miguel Island.. I'm excited to a relaxing, authentic get away..

Concord, New...
reviews: 57
15. Re: Different from the Caribbean island?

In June temps are in the 70s, there re plan trees, pineapples and bananas…. But unlike the Caribbean, it is not poor or over built. There are nice beaches, small but clean - beach hotels (Baia Palace, Caloura Resort). But the cost of living is much much less than in the Caribbean - and it is safe everywhere you go! Look for more info at flytoazores.com

New Haven...
16. Re: Different from the Caribbean island?

My mother is from Sao Miguel so I am probably biased. Sao Miguel is stunningly beautiful. I've only been to the Bahamas and Aruba, the Carribean wins in beaches but Azores are much more beautiful and safe. I would highly recommend renting a car. The temperature is only around 70 but it will feel hot since the humidity is really high. At night though, the humidity goes away and it will be cool. Things to not miss are Ilheu in Vila Franca do Campo. It's a small island just off the coast that is a small sunken in volcano that you can swim and snorkel in - bring sun screen, a towel, and a lunch. No place to hide from the sun so a good half day excursion and the boat ride is 5 euro. They only sell 400 tickets, a day so it can sell out. There are some great hikes up to Lagoa do Fogo. I would try going through Lombadas - there is a natural mineral water factory that is in ruin. The water still comes pouring out the ruined wall, so bring a bottle to fill up and it's carbonated (mineral water from the wall can be found in Furnas too). Mosteiros has a truly black sand beach often too rough to swim but some great natural pools for swimming, stop at Miradouro Ponta do Escalvado. Ponta da Ferraria has a natural pool that is warmed by volcanic activity (park at the miradouro and walk down!). If the ocean is too rough, for 7 euro you can swim in a man made pool pumped with ocean water. They actually have to add cold water too because the ocean water comes in too hot. Furnas is a must see. Boiling springs and a big lake to take a stroll around. Plus you can swim in the hot volcanic water for 2 euro in two fairly new pools or walk the beautiful grounds of Terra Nostra park and enjoy the very large hot pool. Also find a restaurant to eat cozido cooked in the ground. Sete Cidades is a must and hope for a clear day and go Lagoa do Canario. Lagoa do Canario itself isn't much to see but you go a little further into the park and get the best view of Sete Cidades... but it's not for the faint of heart. www.verdeazzorre.com/isole-azzorre-contatti/ You can hike around Sete Cidades too, they even rally race around it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHhqexo7PM I hope you aren't afraid of heights! There are other hikes to small waterfalls. Achada has a cute little park to walk around, if you make it here, stop at Miradouro Salto da Farinha/ Pedra dos Estorninhos. The tea plantation is a must and free. Plus, whale watching, it's not as reliable on Sao Miguel as is say Pico but you will certainly see dolphins. You can swim with the wild dolphins too. If you scuba dive, I recommend Formigas, 20 miles off the coast. Things I wanted to do but haven't done: hike to Praia d'Amora, Faja do Calhau, Nordeste, Pico da Vara, hike past ruined watermills to Praia da Viola. If you aren't a hiker, most places you can drive to also. My mother refuses to drive to Lagoa do Fogo or be in the car as I drive to Lagoa do Fogo (you'll understand), there are always jeep tours and they will go on some dirt roads. Speaking of Lagoa do Fogo, I can't forget Caldeira Velha. The north coast beaches are fewer and rougher but I recommend Santa Barbara and Praia dos Moinhos. The south coast has more beaches and Populo which isn't beautiful but great for a swim. There are also lots of miradouros and picnic areas everywhere to enjoy. A miradouro is a look out point. I can go on but I think that's actually too much for now. I hope you enjoy your stay!

17. Re: Different from the Caribbean island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 16, 2014