We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls on A22

Which Sagres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alnwick, United...
reviews: 28
Tolls on A22

We are hiring a car at faro airport and driving to sagres. Our return journey is on a Sunday returning our hire car to faro airport. we understand the tolls for a hire car have to be paid at a post office after the journey but the post office is closed on a sunday. We do not want to use the N 125. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited: 12:40 pm, January 18, 2012
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
1. Re: Tolls on A22

If your hire car is fitted with a pre-paid toll tag, the issue will be between you and the car hire company when you hand it back.

If it is not fitted with a tag, when you arrive in Sagres you have to wait 48 hours then go to a post office or other payshop and pay the toll for the outward journey. The fine is 75 Euros if you fail to pay the toll within 48 hours + 5 working days.

Then, there is no way you can pay the tolls on return to the airport as it take the system 48 hours to register them. In that case, the car hire company will keep your credit card slip open for 3 days until they can pay the toll on line and charge you back.

You will have to hope they will be honest about that.

This 48 hour thing didn't occur to those who manage the system as it seems that , for the moment at least, many rental companies are not providing pre-paid toll tags.

Welcome to Portugal, second only to Greece in the financial mis-management incompetence Euro 2012 stakes.

Alnwick, United...
2. Re: Tolls on A22

Thank you so much! This is the most precise explanation i have been given!

Coventry, United...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Tolls on A22

I just returned from Lagos today on the A22 to Faro airport, when I collected the hire car yesterday they asked if I knew about the toll road, which I did. I asked how would I be able to pay, as to the best of my knowledge "none" of the rental companies have fitted a transponder. I was asked if I have any friend's in the Algarve who could pay the toll for me, because as cubsur stated, you cannot pay the toll cost for 48 hours, obviously I said no. The rental chap who I was dealing with just shrugged his shoulder's and said it was a stupid payment method anyway, and handed me the keys.

I will be returning to Faro in March, where I have a postal address, it will be interesting to know if I will have a bill in my post awaiting my return, hopefully not!!

Alnwick, United...
4. Re: Tolls on A22

Which car rental company did you use? Europcar have told us to use the N125 all the way from lagos for an early morning flight! we told them if we wanted that sort of experience we would have holidayed in Somalia or Ethiopia!

Let us know how it pans out..good luck! Hopefully you won't end up with the previous hirers tolls and or fines billed to your credit card.

Wonder if the goverment minister in charge of this has shares in Quinta do lago and Val do lobo and is trying to destroy tourism in the western Algarve.

Liverpool UK
reviews: 17
5. Re: Tolls on A22

Robsreview, I hate to say it but you may not just have a bill you may also have a fine by all accounts. With not being able to pay the fee after 48 hrs and upto 5 days because you flew home you may incur extra charges, I would do some more research into it. It could depend on what address you gave to the rental company because that is where the toll fee will go to.

If its the Algarve address and you are not picking up mail until march you may have a fine waiting for you. Sorry to dampen any thoughts you have on the subject. Its just info I have been gathering together .

Aljezur, Portugal
6. Re: Tolls on A22

Thought I would let you know our experience when hiring a car for two weeks over Christmas and New Year from Faro airport.

We were travelling to the end of the motorway near Lagos.

We were told to write the amount of € as we went through each gantry. Which we did. The cost was €6.60c.

We did other journeys where we also wrote down the cost.

We gave the list to the man as we dropped off the car. Paid in cash. Very simple.

(Our car was hired from Enjoy Cars, but the local supplier was Kings).

We are just waiting for our credit card statement to see if any further charge has been made. Hopefully not.

Babs

Aljezur, Portugal
7. Re: Tolls on A22

Thought I would let you know our experience when hiring a car for two weeks over Christmas and New Year from Faro airport.

We were travelling to the end of the motorway near Lagos.

We were told to write the amount of € as we went through each gantry. Which we did. The cost was €6.60c.

We did other journeys where we also wrote down the cost.

We gave the list to the man as we dropped off the car. Paid in cash. Very simple.

(Our car was hired from Enjoy Cars, but the local supplier was Kings).

We are just waiting for our credit card statement to see if any further charge has been made. Hopefully not.

Babs

Coventry, United...
reviews: 16
8. Re: Tolls on A22

I rented my car with Europcar, I have just received an email invoice for the correct amount, (no toll fee's).

Liverpoolman, I know the Portuguese can be a bit strange and extremely bureaucratic, but surely not even they could fine you if they have made it impossible for you to pay the fee, then again!!

The postal address I gave is my own, I have an apartment in the Western Algarve, so the authorities won't have any trouble tracking me down. I will give an up-date when I return to Portugal in March.

Liverpool UK
reviews: 17
9. Re: Tolls on A22

Rob, that is good news. Hope you did not think I was trying to worry you! The forum is all about trying to help people. Yes that would be great if you could keep us updated if you hear anymore about the tolls. As you say the Portuguese authorities can be strange and I dont think they have really thought it through for visitors.

Babsonline , I hope you got a receipt for the cash you paid. Good idea of yours to note all tolls charges!

Aljezur, Portugal
10. Re: Tolls on A22

Told myself before handing over the car to get a receipt. But forgot. But he did sign the paper I had written the charges on.

Just waiting for the credit card statement. with fingers crossed, because we are going again next month.

Will have to see if the arrangements are the same with another car hire firm. We seem to get a different one each time we go (booking through Enjoy Car hire). But have to admit all the cars have been A1 and the representatives very helpful and friendly.

Babs

Get answers to your questions about Sagres