We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 58
An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

Have been here 10 days now getting around on bot foot and by car. I can now spot a local from a tourist. The locals are the one that drive fast ...take chances .... Tail 10 feet behind your car when travelling 70k but are also will slam the brakes on if they see a pedestrian half a block away at a cross walk. Total Dr Jekyll mr. Hyde thing going on here. Not very many rental cars stop for me when I'm at a cross walk.

Just an observation.

21. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:41 pm, July 17, 2013
Edited: 2:41 pm, July 17, 2013
22. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:41 pm, July 17, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
reviews: 28
23. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

So right Barlavento but perhaps Viva can have a go at google translate and we can try to help here.

Regarding real behavior in roundabouts you are right again. Many don't obey by the law and go always on the right lane no matter the exit, cause since if you change lanes and bump on a car in a different one you will be guilty. Others go always on the lane that has least traffic and then turn suddenly to their exit...

Anyways there is a long way between law and reality in Portugal as in other places.

PS. Very important, right of way is fierce-fully respected in roundabouts in Portugal, ppl will rather bump into you than letting you pass if you are on an entrance.

Vancouver
reviews: 58
24. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

I get very confused by the roundabouts. Letting loml do the driving until we get on the highway.

Wolverhampton...
25. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

Unfortunately I haven't had time to digest the information provided by Alface although I couldn't agree more with the comment that there is a difference between the law and what happens in reality. That of course applies to every country.

I think it was FTHW who mentioned one of my pet irritations! That being when vehicles use the outside lane for every exit. Logic tells us you should use the outside lane for the first exit, and it's quite acceptable to do this when entering the inside lane of a second exit (i.e. when that exit has two lanes).

However I've often witnessed local drivers in the Algarve merrily circumventing the outside lane irrespective. Which is one reason why I asked the question in the first place.

Thanks for any offers, but I'm more than capable enough of translating a few lines of Portuguese!

Leeds & Albufeira
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
reviews: 1
26. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

Having driven in several countries around Europe I would say that Portuguese drivers are certainly not the worst as a generalisation. Yes, roundabouts can be a problem, but I do find it quite funny watching some of the capers that are cut there - my advice is always expect the unexpected. Even when someone is indicating it does not mean they are going in the direction indicated! Yes, you can get tailgated, especially on the 22, but remain calm and it's normally all OK. The "On/off slip roads can throw the unwary on motorways as well.

But - compared with Malta, Kos, Parts of Italy, some other Greek islands and London - driving on the Algarve is a positive pleasure! Of course IMHO.

Wolverhampton...
27. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

Certainly Portugal has done one hell of a lot to improve its road safety. Up to around 2008 it had one of worst records in the world. So hats off to them for that. Over the last couple of years I've noticed quite a few new road calming measures on the 125, so I suppose we'll have to wait to see what effect they have.

My experience of tailgating has probably been worse on A and B roads than on the A22, where there's greater opportunity to get out of the way. I'm not saying that local drivers are aggressive and I can't remember seeing one act of road rage in all the years I've been visiting the Algarve. It's just that tailgating seems to be more socially acceptable, which doesn't make it any less lethal. One has to remain calm but of course it is otherwise out of your hands whether it causes an accident.

Portimao, Portugal
reviews: 3
28. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

Lots of things in life are a numbers game. Road rage is one of them. If you come here on holiday for maybe 2 weeks a year you unlikely to see much RR. Living here you will see it multiple times per month for sure. Having said that driving up n down the Algarve every day of the week in the summer I am bound to see more than my fair share.

Wolverhampton...
29. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

I would imagine that there quite a few things tourists don't see diskwizz. Ignorance is bliss as the saying goes.

30. Re: An observation about drivers in Lagos. Locals vs tourists

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 21, 2014