We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos vagran

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bristol
reviews: 1
Lagos vagran

Love lagos but did notice this year around the squares lots of vagrants men and woman drinking all day when we were having a meal one night a couple tried to take left over food from your plate and the waiters had to shout at them they both looked drunk or on drugs I do no lots of people were talking about it hope this doesn't get out of hand not nice when your on holiday especially when you have children with you

Wolverhampton...
1. Re: Lagos vagran

It's been years since we went to Lagos in high season so it's difficult for me to comment. Not that begging doesn't take place at other times of the year but not to any degree that has caused us any concern. It certainly doesn't sound very good at all and I would be interested to hear views from people who travel regularly to Lagos at this time of the year.

bristol
reviews: 1
2. Re: Lagos vagran

Yes don't really worry about the begging you get that wherever you go on holiday but this was really of putting

Wolverhampton...
3. Re: Lagos vagran

It's most certainly off putting which is why I was inviting further comment.

On a lighter note I always see the same 'lady' every year who lies prostrate on the Portas de Portugal (main street into the old town from the avenida). She lies there moaning and groaning as if near death. Whatever affliction she suffers from it subsides long enough for her to have regular coffee/ cigarette breaks!

Warrenpoint
reviews: 39
4. Re: Lagos vagran

Funny you should mention this, as one night when we were sitting outside a local bar, a zwoman who was off her head on something came to out table and asked for a cigarette. We explained we didn't smoke, but she wouldn't leave and started talking rubbish. We assumed the owner , who came out and stood at the door, zwould chase her, but he didn't, so when she leaned over the table to clink her glass with my 12 year old's drink my husband shouted at her to go away and she left. Not nice at all, but thankfully this was the only ever of such a nature in two weeks.

Warrenpoint
5. Re: Lagos vagran

Sorry, don't know where all the 'z's came from in that post !

Wolverhampton...
6. Re: Lagos vagran

Was she skinny, short hair, in her fifties, Portuguese?

Warrenpoint
7. Re: Lagos vagran

Sounds about right !

Peterborough...
reviews: 26
8. Re: Lagos vagran

She is normally around. Bar owners seem to pay her to clear rubbish from premises etc. At easter we also saw 'traveller types' begging outside the small intermarche on the avenida. What about the two beggars who sit outside the church and are always having breakfast in one of the bars on the avenida???

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
reviews: 36
9. Re: Lagos vagran

The "two ladies" who sit outside the church are long standing Lagos characters. Over the years they have been accompanied by various companions of a K9 variety. However, they have outlived the latter!

They live in the "bairro das indias" at the far end of Meia Praia and usually walk into town daily. They are higly professional at what they do and have the system "sussed". One just ignores them just as one does the other members of the "local" Portuguese Lagos "strange character" community.

More worrying in the recent years has been the arrival of various people of a "North European" variety who have started muscling into the "market".

Only this week-end I was made aware at first hand of two instances of these types hassling tourists with kids for money. What we do about it I don't know, but I am glad that as from today, extra police are being deployed down here for the summer season.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 22
10. Re: Lagos vagran

We are currently in lagos ,first time here and we have been approached by a young man asking for money he comes right up to you not just sitting begging. I find this quite off putting. As you say you do get beggars everywhere. Some of the buskers can be a bit in your face as well when they come round the tables when you are having your meal.