We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Lagos??

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
reviews: 4
Crime in Lagos??

I have just read a quite frightening thread on the Albufeira forum about the level of crime there - muggings & robberies, some violent.

Just wondering if anyone can comment in relation to Lagos? I am coming for 2 weeks in June with my 2 young children and I have to say, I am more than a little worried now.

merseyside
reviews: 17
1. Re: Crime in Lagos??

dont worry all very isolated incedents as far as Im concerned The Algarve is one of the safest places I know , yes you are going to get bits and pieces of crime just as you would anywhere in the world, there are resorts in Spain where there are major problems with muggings etc , but the Algarve is always close to the top of safe places to go when there are surveys done about the popular holiday areas, Im sure that the people who are consistent contributors to this forum will back me up and assure you that you will have a great holiday, just use common sense, which a lot of people seem to leave on the plane

Lagos, Portugal
reviews: 3
2. Re: Crime in Lagos??

Wherever you go in the world there is going to be an element of crime. Some you never hear about whilst other cases are blown up out of all proportion. Here in Lagos I have heard of very little crime. Obviously bad things do happen but if you are vigilent and street wise most incidents can be avoided. On the whole the Portuguese people are honest and friendly (it's us foreigners that cause problems) so just come and enjoy your holiday.

Galway, Ireland
reviews: 4
3. Re: Crime in Lagos??

Thank you for replying and yes, you have put my mind at ease.

We were in Lagos 2 years ago and loved it and never felt unsafe. However, when I started reading all the personal accounts of incidents in Albufeira (one particularly nasty one only this past weekend), I started thinking that maybe there is a growing problem out there that I was unaware of.

I am certainly always safety conscious no matter where I go and just wanted to be sure that things have not changed for the worse in terms of problems with crime.

One final thing, would you consider it safe to walk back to your accommodation from restaurants / bars in the late evening / night (we are travelling with another family so will be taking turns with the babysitting - won't be dragging the kids out for cocktails!) or would it be wiser to take taxis? We are staying close to the Bus Station, if that is a factor to consider.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
4. Re: Crime in Lagos??

The mini crime wave is blamed fairly and squarely on Eastern Europeans living here illegally. It gets publicity because of its rarity. I have lived in Albufeira for nearly 5 years, walk home alone regularly late at night and have never once felt threatened.

I feel there is no need to worry any more than you would walking back from a pub at home.

Manchester/Lagos
reviews: 6
5. Re: Crime in Lagos??

Totally agree with everything that has been said. These are isolated incidents.

Even though it seems that most of the muggings seem to be targeted at people returning from bars in the early hours, you've no need to worry.

Just act as you would anywhere else - keep an eye on you belongings and don't put yourselves at risk.

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 58
6. Re: Crime in Lagos??

Unless you're staying somewhere especially isolated, you'll probably find yourself part of a procession of folks heading home (the young and the beautiful will be heading the other way). The biggest risks are that your post-dinner ice cream will melt before you finish eating it, or that the hotel bar will be shut when you get there expecting a nightcap. You can avoid both of these risks by not bothering with the ice cream.

Aberdeen, United...
7. Re: Crime in Lagos??

Unless you're staying somewhere especially isolated, you'll probably find yourself part of a procession of folks heading home (the young and the beautiful will be heading the other way). The biggest risks are that your post-dinner ice cream will melt before you finish eating it, or that the hotel bar will be shut when you get there expecting a nightcap. You can avoid both of these risks by not bothering with the ice cream.

Aberdeen, United...
8. Re: Crime in Lagos??

Aberdeen, United...
9. Re: Crime in Lagos??

apologies for triple posting (how did that happen?)

Belfast
reviews: 63
10. Re: Crime in Lagos??

Like anywhere I would just make sure you are careful-I love Lagos and go every year. In 2007 we rented an apartment on the Marina and unfortunately on the last day it was broken into and they actually stole the safe from inside the wardrobe where it was bolted onto the wall! We lost all our money, passports, wediing rings, car keys etc-they also stole watches and even our young daughters purse. It was a nightmare but the police were very helpful at the time. They advised that it was likely illegal immigrants who got the train into town and went on a crime spree.

However it could have happened anywhere and even though my wife doesn't want to go back I stil do for a week each year on a 'boys' holiday and I never feel that there is any sense of violence or danger in the town. Quite the opposite is the case-I would be happy to bring a young family here- I did on more than one occassion!

Get answers to your questions about Lagos