We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental security deposit

Which Faro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 17
Car rental security deposit

Hi I am traveling to Portugal and looking at renting a car for 1 week from Faro airport. I have looked at loads of sites and they all say you need a credit card to pay a security deposit for fuel and damage. My credit card only has a £200 limit would this be enough?. I will pay extra when I book for cwd and excess wavier. Has any one had any experience of this charge and how much it might be? Thanks in advance

Donegal
reviews: 19
1. Re: Car rental security deposit

You can pay extra insurance to negate the need for a deposit. We were there at Easter and were charged €3.5 a day extra for full insurance. The car (vw golf tdi) worked out at €263.00 for 14 days from Interrent. I would suggest that you get a temporary limit increase on you card however. £200.00 is very low for car hire.

Camberley Surrey
reviews: 23
2. Re: Car rental security deposit

if you take out no excess insurance when you book your hire car your card will only be swiped at the airport and no charge will be made (except £1) which is then given back at the end of your hire. Always read the small print about insurance, we have just booked and like yourself we only have £500 limit on our credit card as we dont use them.. happy driv :)

London, Canada
reviews: 2
3. Re: Car rental security deposit

I just returned from Portugal. I had rented a car from Guerin for the month of April. I took the 0 excess which along with glass and tires, ran me 223E which I paid in cash. However they swiped my card for 100E as a deposit from which to pay any other charges (such as returning the car empty rather than full). I have not received my credit card statement as yet, so haven't any idea yet, whether they took the 100E or not. If they have, I certainly will wonder for what.

4. Re: Car rental security deposit

Thanks for the comments! We are booking with luzcar they are €153 for a group b car for the week and don't need any credit card details or deposit. Maybe a little high on price but better than the high deposit on credit card :-)

Basildon
reviews: 9
5. Re: Car rental security deposit

I hired a basic car from Faro airport in Sept. 2012. they took a 750 euro deposit from my card - the bank charged me £18 for the transaction.

One week after returning the car and still not received the deposit back.

Also charged me 85 euros for fuel although I only used half a tank. (PU full return empty). Cheaper to get a taxi - what a rip off.

merseyside
6. Re: Car rental security deposit

laurenlee Luz cars are a very good choice used them numerous times

Ipswich, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Car rental security deposit

PeterS700 - What company was this - name and shame!

The Spanish practice of the "full out - return empty" rip-off is becomeing endemic in the Algarve - and you are not the first person to have the full deposit taken off your card. People should boycott the rental companies and the agents who promote them.

Edited: 4:17 pm, November 27, 2012
Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 81
8. Re: Car rental security deposit

I am checking back on older posts regarding this topic as we are headed there in 2 weeks, thanks for the wonderful information

merseyside
9. Re: Car rental security deposit

use Luzcars no cc swipe pay in cash great service highly recomended time and time again on this forum

Lymm, United Kingdom
reviews: 28
10. Re: Car rental security deposit

We have always used Travel Rent. You return the car with the same amount of fuel as you found it. Also, they just take a copy of your credit card as a deposit, so no actual transaction is processed. They are based on the airport Car park 4 so very handy to get away, and not have to wait for mini buses to take you offsite etc.