We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
reviews: 7
Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

Hi there,

I could not find any info if dogs are allowed at the beaches on the Algarve, specifically in Albufeira. I might be traveling there in May, so should be still off-season.

Any info is appreciated, thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
1. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

I'm afraid it is illegal to take your dog to any beach in the Algarve at any time of the year.

Fines can be handed out on the spot.

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 34
2. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

Portuguese law "Dogs can attend any beach that is not concessioned, whether maritime or fluvial, throughout the year, provided there are no signs to the contrary provided by the respective municipal council." and "Dogs can not, under any circumstances attend concessioned beaches, whether sea, river or lake, during the bathing season, except those covered by the right of access of disabled people accompanied by Assistance dogs to locations, transports and public facilities."

Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
3. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

Great to know 64novpt. I'm off to the beach tomorrow! :)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
4. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

The bathing season is basically Easter until October, so no dogs allowed on beaches in May.

Sunderland
reviews: 2
5. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

In Alvor earlier this year (August) we spotted a number of dogs on the beach but they were almost always at the much quieter end near the harbour entrance. That part of the beach takes a lot longer to get to, either via the boardwalk or by walking along the main beach itself, and there are no beach bars/restaurants and/or cordoned-off areas with sunbeds etc for hire.

I never saw any signs saying dogs weren't allowed but have to admit I was not particularly looking for any. Perhaps the dog owners were aware of some local by-law allowing dogs on that stretch of sand, or perhaps they were just prepared to risk a fine if caught.

To be honest, apart from the lifeguards at the busier end of the beach, I never saw anyone who looked as if they were operating in any sort of official capacity so perhaps the laws regarding dogs on beaches aren't particularly well observed in Alvor.

I suppose it's down to whether you want to risk it or not.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
6. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

They may have been wild dogs on the beach. We had a small pack of them here in Albufeira until a few years ago when they were taken away and apparently shot!

You certainly cannot take a dog onto any beach in Albufeira during the bathing season. They are all policed.

Sunderland
reviews: 2
7. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

The dogs we saw were definitely with owners - they all had collars and leads and in many cases were sleeping under the sun brollies next to their people.

There was a bunch of wild dogs living under or around the boardwalk in Alvor back in 2011 - never saw any of them this year though. Perhaps the same fate befell them as those in Albufeira.

london
reviews: 10
8. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

We were befriended by a stray dog on the beach in Alvor this summer , came back from a walk and he had pitched up under our umbrella , he even came to play ball with us in the sea . I must admit i did draw the line at taking him to Ruccalas in the evening !

Edited: 5:21 am, November 07, 2013
Kildare
reviews: 30
9. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

We saw a dog on Fishermans Beach three times in August when there was barely enough room for people. It was a small toy breed with its owners, a middle aged Portuguese couple who kept it under their deckchairs. Nobody paid any attention to it at all.

Blackpool
reviews: 21
10. Re: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira

Please bin it sounds crazy but you would not believe how many people leave dog mess on the beaches and think it is OK to do

Reply to: Dog friendly beaches in/around Albufeira
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted