We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self catering on the cheap - still possible

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
reviews: 12
self catering on the cheap - still possible

hi,

thinking of booking a last minute self catering break for the end of march at vilanova.

was wondering what the cost of living prices are like in albufeira at the moment (i'm a bit of a budget person).

went to albufeira a couple of years ago and was amazed to see things like a litre of wine for 69cents in lidl and five litres of water for about 30cents in the local supermarkets.

all you can eat at the happy house was about seven or eight euros.

have things changed much in the last couple of years price wise?

Newcastle, England
reviews: 16
1. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

I think Albufeira is a very cheap place for s/c and loads of cheap places to eat out. 10 euros per night will get you a great meal with drinks.

The Chinese is reported to be slightly over 10 euros now.

I'll s/c for breakfasts, probably 5 out of 7 and the same with snacks during the day. But expect 7 out of 7 nights eating out and mainly if not all at the best of the 'cheapies'. I couldn't be bothered catering at nights and that's a major part of my break, sampling a few mainly local places.

Wine and drinks are cheap though and I'll be buying a few bottles for the room for during the day and a nightcap.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
2. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

Prices have gone up here over the past couple of years as a result of the government's austerity budgets, but most things are still cheaper in the shops than in the UK. Wine is still cheap by UK standards as is most fresh food.

The Happy House is indeed now over 10 Euros, I think it was €10.95 last time I heard. The tax on restaurant / bar meals and drinks went up from 13% to 23% last year which put everything up of course.

Waterford...
3. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

I am hoping to do things on a budget too Corumuk, when we get there we are going to hit the supermarket and get porridge, yogurts, cheese, milk, bread etc and other essentials (and wine!).

If we are going to the beach or even a day trip with the boys I will make filled rolls for us all and like newkid said, my treat for the day will be to eat out.

We got our fab accomodation for €400 for the week but the flights came to €900 which is where the majority of our spend is!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
reviews: 3
4. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

If you look up Booking.Com you can still get plenty of cheap apartements and you have lots of great value in restaurants and supermarkets if you want to eat and drink on the cheap. Like Ireland prices have gone up from previous years but still great value and better weather.

Newcastle, England
reviews: 16
5. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

scallyboo, yes you can do it cheap by s/c during the day and treating yourself out at night. Even at night you can have a cheap 'feast' like Os Compadres 8 euros for their set menu which includes 1/2 litre of wine (or other drink if wanted) and even a coffee is included.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

Breakfasts can offer a great saving if s/c as even the 3.50 euro ones you need to buy a hot drink (if wanted) and that'll push the price to around 5 euros each. 4 persons and almost 20 euros and you could probably s/c for a full weeks worth of breakfasts for 4 for 20 euros. So yes, you can do it cheap. Take a few sachets of porridge with you and some sunflower oil (decanted into a small bottle) and fried eggs etc.

Filled rolls for the beach, some fruit, crisps etc and another great saving.

I like to pop up to the room after midday for an hour or so, especially if facing the sun and have a sandwich and cold beer.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
6. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

Porridge! In Portugal!!

Even if you can find it in one of the local shops it will cost a fortune.

Edinburgh
reviews: 43
7. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

corumuk

Have a look at this website. Apart from giving you an idea of menus it has a very handy map and tourist guide. Eating there wont break the bank and its located very near Vilanova (if you book there). Good suggestion in post 5

for Os Compadres, not far from Vilanova and definately worth a visit.

www.thecottage.biz albufeira

Edinburgh
reviews: 43
8. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

OOPS sorry, posting the link again:

http://www.the-cottage.biz/Welcome.html

Plymouth, United...
reviews: 12
9. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Prices do seem to have gone up a bit but that's to be expected and as suggested, good value is still to be had and it shouldn't break the bank.

Keith, United...
10. Re: self catering on the cheap - still possible

I still believe if you are happy with the Portuguese products and can stay away from the UK 'brand' names you will still be able to eat and drink a lot cheaper than you can over here.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira