We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local buses

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 8
Local buses

I would like to visit Portamao,Faro,Lagos,Praia da Rocha,Tavira and other places using local bus transport.Can I buy a discounted bus travel card to do that?Are there any further discounts available for seniors?Thanks for any help.

Leicester
reviews: 66
1. Re: Local buses

chester2 you should have no problems getting to Portamoa/ Praia da Rocha as they are next door to each other, Faro is again a easy bus ride away and you can also get the bus to Lagos. Tavira is the other side of Faro so this would need two busses to get here, even if you went by Train you still need to change at Faro. I have used both Train and Bus but never asked about senior discount but as in most places now they may do. The bus station in Albufiera is a way out of town up a bit of a hill and the Train Station is about 5 miles away.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
2. Re: Local buses

Please feel free to visit my personal website www.algarvebus.info for the details of bus and train services around the Algarve.

In brief, there is no discounted bus pass for single journeys to other towns unless you are a resident over 65 years old. There is a 7 day tourist pass costing €35,90 but you would have to practically live on a bus to get any value from it. This can be bought at the main station or at the 'Bus Shop' in Albufeira old town.

Buses are fairly cheap. Albufeira to Portimão for example is €4,25 each way.

Albufeira's bus station is about a mile to the north of the town centre and most of the tourists hotels etc. Many of the buses to distant parts only stop there. Check the timetables carefully.

Buses between the towns are mostly very infrequent at weekends and do not run after about 730pm on any day.

The local bus service around Albufeira (the GIRO network) has a discount pass available to anyone. It costs €3 and can be loaded with 10 or 20 journeys at 80 cents each. The normal cash fare is €1,40 so you can see that would pay for itself after six journeys. You get the €3 back if you surrender the card before returning to UK. These can be purchased at the main bus station or at the 'Bus Shop' in Albufeira old town.

Albufeira's railway station is four miles out of town. Once on the train they are quicker and cheaper than buses for most journeys, but you have to get to the station first. There is a bus from town every half hour every day.

Also, there is an ongoing industrial dispute that has been dragging on for months. This means that trains are cancelled without warning and no trains at all run on public holidays.

I am reliably informed that over 65's can travel half fare by train on production of ID eg passport.

I hope that helps as a start. I am a regular train and bus user as I do not drive, so come back if you have any specific questions.

London, United...
3. Re: Local buses

cubsur,Thank you very much for your very detailed reply.Would I be able to use the 7 day pass on all buses throughout the Algarve and where is the bus shop situated in old Albufeira town?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
4. Re: Local buses

The seven day pass is valid for all EVA and Frota Azul buses in the Algarve. These are the buses between the various towns, not the local mostly mini-buses in the big towns eg Albufeira, Portimão and Lagos on which the pass is not valid.

The Bus Shop in the old town of Albufeira is the Avenida da Liberdade, up near where the GIRO buses stop and close to the taxi rank. It's on the left hand side and about 34 or 4 minutes walk from the square.

It's actually called 'Bus Shop' and is open every day until around 8pm.

They only take cash by the way.

London, United...
5. Re: Local buses

cobsur,I will be staying in Olhos d'Aigua and going regularly to Albufeira and then beyond,so perhaps it makes sense to buy that pass?

Edited: 10:48 am, March 04, 2013
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
6. Re: Local buses

Well the fare from, Olhos D'Agua to Albufeira is €2,20 each way. It's not covered by the GIRO buses, to the disgust of the residents there!

If you intended to travel several times between Olhos D'Agua and Albufeira, whether just going there or then going further afield, you might buy a pre-pay 5 or 10 journey pass which reduces the fare for that journey to €1,39 each way. These are on cards which also cost €3 from the bus station or bus shop. These are only available for that actual journey as EVA has distance based fares.

I will give you some examples of fares from Albufeira for journeys I have recently made. I will let you do the sums.

Portimão €4,25

Loulé €4,25

Lagos €5.45

Messines €4,05

Faro €4,65 (that would be a bit cheaper from Olhos D'Agua)

Quarteira €4,05 (so would that)

London, United...
7. Re: Local buses

cubsur,those sound like the daily trips that ,I would like to do.If the average oneway cost is 4.5 euros,then the returns for five would be 45 euros and then I have to get to Albufeira from Olhos to start some of those journeys.The cost and convenience makes the pass a good buy.

Thanks for all your great help.

Edited: 1:51 pm, March 04, 2013
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
8. Re: Local buses

Ok good for you. Don't forget that the bus station in Albufeira is a mile from the old town so if your first trip is let's say off to Lagos, do allow a good few minutes between buses so that you can buy your pass at the bus station ticket office. These buses do not go to the old town at all, where the Bus Shop is.

S Yorks
reviews: 12
9. Re: Local buses

Looking for information on the local bus service and came across this earlier post. We are visiting in 2 weeks time and have decided we would like to visit Lagos. Went to Vilamoura the last time we visited and probably wouldn't rush back.

Can anyone recommend a couple of more places which would be worth a visit by bus please,

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
10. Re: Local buses

Silves is worth a trip with its c astle and cathedral, Lagos yes but a long ride, Loulé on a good day - there is very nice indoor market there every morning except Sundays and holidays, not your tourist tat. Some people like Alvor.

Check bus times at www.algarvebus.info as mentioned above and remember that the buses leave from the main bus station (out of town) and may not stop near where you are staying. Certainly so in the case of the buses to Lagos, which stop nowhere else in town.

Any questions, come back here.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira