We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 26-30th

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 41
Dec 26-30th

Hi,

I am thinking of taking a short break, I will be alone with my 2 sons and I do not drive. From my research Albuferia would appear to be the busiest resort which usually means better transport available etc...

Could some please confirm if I am thinking along the right lines, not sure where I am staying yet exactly but will be an apartment/villa and will need to do a big (ish) shop so also need to have reliable taxi service too.

Many thanks in advance.

Newcastle, England
reviews: 12
1. Re: Dec 26-30th

You are probably right going to Albufeira out of the main season, though could be busier being Xmas / New Year. I had a good look around the Algarve last time and it was pretty dead apart from the working towns and I'll be going back to Albufeira in May next year and expect it to be pretty quiet. Suits me though as I just want a break.

Brisa Sol area may be worth a look, a couple of medium sized (by UK standards) supermarkets on your doorstep, so no need for taxis as you could use them as 'corner shops'.

You have McDonalds and KFC over the road from the Brisa Sol if that's what your sons like.

Are you tied to the Algarve?

Positive, loads of cheap accommodation with the resort being dead. Far too many rooms and doubt they get filled up even in the peak July / August months.

Edited: 4:27 am, December 08, 2012
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
2. Re: Dec 26-30th

Brisal Sol is a sound idea. I use the Continente supermarket myself, which is almost next door to it. It's on two floors and has everything you could need. Plenty of places to eat within a couple of minutes walk.

It's 10 minutes walk from the old town centre and beach. Although late December isn't sun and sand weather, it is still very pleasant on a nice day, like today when we expect 18C this afternoon and plenty of blue sky.

Villas and townhouses tend to be further out and it is very hilly round here. Taxis are cheap (5 Euros will get you anywhere in town from anywhere else) and the local buses run every half hour seven days a week.

London
3. Re: Dec 26-30th

No i have never been to the Algarve, I dont mind staying out a bit in the villas/houses, as long as it doesn't cost me a huge amount each time and the taxis are reliable, I am not going to be doing loads of site seeing i really just need to get away from London, with a villa that has a nice sea view where i can sit in the garden and read (even if in a cardigan)

18c is fine compared to what i am dealing with now, lol

Edited: 7:18 am, December 08, 2012
merseyside
reviews: 18
4. Re: Dec 26-30th

you will not get a villa for a short let at this time of year and you may find difficulty getting taxis to private houses, so would suggest

hotel or apartment, have you looked at somewhere like Riu Algarve Palace stunning sea views from balconies and grounds or Porto Bay next door they are in Olhos d,agua a small resort about 3 miles from Albufeira 8 euros in a taxi

London
5. Re: Dec 26-30th

The villas are available, I have contacted various owners/companies and received prices, etc.. for my dates, however I have taken on board what you say about the transportation.

6. Re: Dec 26-30th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira