We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celiac in Albufeira

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 3
Celiac in Albufeira

Hi there,

Been to Albufeira for spring time breaks a few times, but never since I was diagnosed as a celiac (allergic to wheat, rhye, oats and barley).

I have found the site where you can download Portuguese (and other) language cards to use when eating out, but just wondered what, if any, experiences people had in Albufeira.

Thanks,

Lawrence

Albufeira, Portugal
reviews: 24
1. Re: Celiac in Albufeira

My wife has a gluten and dairy free diet and we've been out four or five times this year with no issues whatever. Mostly it's common sense but everybody speaks English so if you've any concerns just ask your waiter. the Portuguese for coeliac is "céliaca" and wheat allergy is "alergia do trigo". If you're self catering Continente has a good "free from" section.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Celiac in Albufeira

Thanks for your advice.

Kind regards,

Lawrence

Ireland
reviews: 49
3. Re: Celiac in Albufeira

We have never had an issue (son is coeliac too). Usually pretty easy to get GF food. As AlgarveBairn says the big supermarkets have GF sections too, so you can get your bread for morning toast, Pasta etc

Where things were confusing due to the language barrier the little printed card is all we needed.

Senior Frogs (restaurant) states on its website that it has GF pasta, but when we went this year they had none. We usually bring a GF pizza base with us though so our wee man had his pizza and loved it.

4. Re: Celiac in Albufeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira