We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algarve - Tours, things to do, travel, etc.

Which Algarve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Algarve - Tours, things to do, travel, etc.

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know that I have booked flights and found a lovely apartment in Alvor, which is as I wanted, close to the beach. Self catering but I am sure I will find breakfast without too much trouble.

A few questions:

I am hoping to do a day trip to Lisbon. What would be the most time efficient and economical way to travel? Also, my daughter is 2 1/2 years old and is comfortable with a booster seat. Is this ok with the law in Portugal?

Another place I am also hoping on visitting is Cape St. Vincent. Is there a tour company/operator who runs tours to this area?

I will be staying near Rua Dr. Alfonso Costa. From there, which place would be a good starting point to explore the beach/coast for scenic views, wildlife, etc. At times, I will be using a pushchair.

Finally, thanks very much for all of your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
35,627 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Algarve - Tours, things to do, travel, etc.

Lisbon is a long way, around 4 hours each way by coach (bus) and about 3 by car. Fare to Lisbon and back is about 40 Euros. I have never ever seen a child with a booster seat on a bus. If you had a car, a booster seat is a good idea (I am not sure about whether the law requires it) but such young children must travel in the back seat.

The motorway tolls alone would be about the same as the coach fare. Add the cost of car hire (unless you already have one) fuel and parking and it is an expensive day out.

There are sometimes organised excursions to Lisbon. You can find out about these at local 'ticket shops' and travel shops. They would also do trips out to Cape St Vincent. There is also one public bus each weekday day from Alvor to Cape St Vincent and back, but you would be stuck there for three hours before it comes back.

If you walk the short distance into the old part of Alvor and make your way to the fishermen's area down by the river, there is a nice path you can take for some distance alongside the river. In the other direction there are the fishermen's boats and huts then a walk around to the beach.

Also, I hope you do find breakfast without too much trouble. In most holiday resorts few if any bars etc open before 11am! There is a supermarket not too far away from where you will be.

I hope that helps.

Level Contributor
1,296 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Algarve - Tours, things to do, travel, etc.

are you renting a car or is the seat for use on the bus ? You wont have any trouble getting an early breakfasr in Alvor .. i can think of 4 places withing 5 minutes of where we stay that are open early enough .

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Algarve - Tours, things to do, travel, etc.

If you are traveling by car:

Minimum weight requirement for a booster seat is by the way 15 kg (roughly 33 lbs). If your daughter has reached that limit you should be good to go. If not, it's on the one side not really safe and on the other side the law MAY require a child restraint appropriate to the child's weight/age, but I'm not sure about the exact wording.

4. Re: Algarve - Tours, things to do, travel, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Algarve