We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls are illegal, it's official

Which Algarve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portimao, Portugal
reviews: 3
Tolls are illegal, it's official

My subject line is taken from this article that I have found today. Lets hope this forces some action.

algarvedailynews.com/news/5917-tolls-are-ill…

Liverpool UK
reviews: 17
1. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

Diskwizz, that is very interesting news to all . Will be watching events regarding this. Cheers!!

Costa Adeje, Spain
reviews: 19
2. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

When I see the formal notice from EEC I`ll believe on it...till then just see bad journalists trying to sell newspapers.

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
3. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

If it comes to it, the government will pay the fine but the tolls are here to stay.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
4. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

What the EU says is 'illegal' and what most governments do about it are two entirely different things.

I agree, nothing will change. What are the EU going to do, send the boys round to get the money which we all know the Portuguese government simply does not have? If the tolls are removed, there will be no money to maintain the A22 etc, they will eventually fall into disrepair and be closed on safety grounds, like the railways.

Then there would you be?

lisbon
5. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

It's not the tolls that are illegal. It's the payment system that divides Portuguese plate cars from non-Portuguese. That breaches the principles of non-discrimination between member states.

The EU have nothing to say about having or not having tolls in member countries.

Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
6. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

I heard from the lady who sells the devices that the system is programmed with Portuguese plates, not with licence plates from other countries. Therefore, she says, when driving the toll roads, they can not be detected and charged.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has experienced this?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
7. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

People with non-Portuguese number plates are supposed to buy a temporary visitors pass when crossing the border, then buy a transponder if they intend to drive around before returning to Spain.

I read some while back that all number plates are automatically recorded. The question then arises, whether or how the toll company can deal with eg the British DVLA to trace owners of foreign- registered vehicles. Whatever, sounds like a bureaucratic and legal minefield.

The alternative, of spending hundreds of millions of Euros to buy land, construct toll plazas and cash collection booths, staff and operate them is almost too horrible to think about. The toll lanes and booths on the A2 north of Paderne extend over a half mile stretch of that road.

Costa Adeje, Spain
reviews: 19
8. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

The system is able to read all the plate types (think that at the moment you can find 4 portuguese types).

It`squite easy to check this... when you buy on their webpage the 5 day prepayment you can then check the tolls you used and even claim back the amount not used.

9. Re: Tolls are illegal, it's official

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:40 am, June 18, 2013