We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Careful with what you eat - Food intoxications

Which Algarve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 40
Careful with what you eat - Food intoxications

We got 2 major food intoxications in restaurants in Algarve. We did present a complaint (in the book of complaints, analysed by the tourism bureau and the city hall) at one of them but never received an answer.

The complaint we presented was about having asked for grilled fish (for me, on diet) and instead beeing served a huge fish head ('a la meuniere', that is, fried in butter). We had to pay around 35 euros for the head fish alone inspite having eaten nothing since it was disgusting. My husband did eat the appetizers (homemade liver pate) and got terribly sick the following day and for the rest of our holidays.

The next day at breakfast I was still disgusted with the look of the enormous fish head (with eyes, and teeth) in my plate.

One year later I went to the city hall to ask about the complaint and it was still on someone's desk. I later asked about that complaint at the tourism office (Regiao de Turismo do Algarve) and never received an answer.

In case you were wondering this happened at the Restaurant Vila Velha, in Sagres where we also got food poisening (in another restaurant, obviously) with shelfish.

We've stoped going to the Algarve for our holidays and have been chosing another european beach destinations (Spain and France) where we pay a lot less and get uncomparable better service.

If you're traveling to Sagres, a word of advice: stick to the restaurants in the pousadas (Fortaleza do Beliche, Pousada do Infante).

There is also a great pousada restaurant in Sao Bras de Alportel.

Paris
1. Re: Careful with what you eat - Food intoxications

I sugest you to send a copy of the complaint you had write in the "book of complaints" of the restaurante Vilha Velha, to National Tourism Office:

Direc����o Geral do Turismo

Avenida Ant��nio Augusto de Aguiar, 86

1069-021 Lisboa

You can also tell them what (didn��t) hapened afterwards and how desapointed you are, as nobody seems to care about that desgusting experience.

(Please write your adress in a very clear way, as they will need it to answer you back)

Paris
2. Re: Careful with what you eat - Food intoxications

I sugest you to send a copy of the complaint you had write in the "book of complaints" of the restaurante Vilha Velha, to National Tourism Office:

Direccao Geral do Turismo

Avenida Antonio Augusto de Aguiar, 86

1069-021 Lisboa

You can also tell them what (didn��t) hapened afterwards and how desapointed you are, as nobody seems to care about that desgusting experience.

(Please write your adress in a very clear way, as they will need it to answer you back)

lisboa
3. Re: Careful with what you eat - Food intoxications

Hello. Maybe this is a too late comment since it is September now but here it goes anyway: What can I say? Bad luck?!?!?! Extreme bad luck?!?

I spend holydays and weekends in the Algarve since I was born and I never got a food intoxication there so I guess you really had bad luck. In the Algarve you DO have wonderful restaurantes with fresh fish and seafood for which you don't have to pay much. Just have to look around and get some advice from local people. I have been to Spain many, many times and although I love it I don't think the relation quality/price of food is as good as in Portugal. I have never been in the south of France but I always thought it was really expensive. In Tavira you get a meal all inclusive where you eat as much fish as you want (fresh fish caught by the fishermen on the same day) for 12 euros.

So, don't give up and bettrer luck next time. Because it is just a question of bad luck, you know? You can go to Spain or France and get a food intoxication as well...

Cheers. Lis

Kent, UK
reviews: 1
4. Re: Careful with what you eat - Food intoxications

I have lost count how many times Ive been ill and got food poisoning when I go to Portugal. Its almost expected. I dont know what to suggest. Portuguese are rubbish at doing any sort of paper work and if its an apology you are waiting for, Id give up.