We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whatever You Do Do Not Rent a Car With Europcar

Which Evora hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Juiz de Fora
reviews: 58
Whatever You Do Do Not Rent a Car With Europcar

I want to report the horrifying experience I had with Europcar in Portugal during the month of September. On June 16th, I booked a reserve of a compact car with automatic gear for the period 15th September (Évora) – 24th September (Vila Real) under the name of my wife for the guaranteed price of 512.43 Euros. We also subscribed to an insurance policy providing total Loss and Demand Waiver coverage, eliminating any deductible we might incur during the rental for an extra cost of 14.88 euros per day.

On September 15th while picking up the car in Évora, fully aware that engines in Europe can be driven either by gas or diesel, I asked the employee named Nuno if the engine of the Fiat Linea we were renting was on gasoline. His answer was YES! Given that I am a portuguese native speaker, I am positive he understood the question. Unfortunately, when I stopped at a service station to fill the car, it was the owner of the service station himself who filled the tank. Of course, it was writen DIESEL on the tank tap and I wonder why he did not tell me about it.

On Friday September 18th, while I was leaving the city of Marvão, the engine of the car stalled, preventing us from keep going on our trip. We then phoned the 24h assistance service for help.

To make a long story short: Europcar is charging me aproximately 300 Euros for picking up the car, replacing it with another and “assistance” despite the fact we were misinformed and paid for an insurance policy providing full LDW coverage (not to mention we had to wait six hours for help to arrive). B) We were promised by the Porto Alegre Europcar station to receive exactly the same model I had rented in Évora, but instead got a car with a manual gear! C) when I complained by phone with the Evora station I was insulted and not helped at all; D) I called the customer support department in Lisbon where I talked to Sr. Virgilio. He was unhelpful, did not pay any atention to what I was telling him (in Portuguese) and showed clearly that he did not care, in fact he sounded bored!; E) When we delivered the car back in Vila Real not only they charged this absurd amount of 300 euros mentioned above but they also charged me more for the same car with manual gear than the price I had booked for an automatic gear car! The total rip off in my assesment amounted to 340 euros I am trying to suspend this abusive charges reporting this situation to Visa. I will go to law court if necessary! Europcar never more!!! Avoid dealing with this dishonest company! Use either Avis or Hertz!

johannesburg,southaf...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Whatever You Do Do Not Rent a Car With Europcar

Hi there,

This sounds really horrific - I must say we always rent a car via holidayautos and always choose Europcar - never had a problem - you need to write to Europcar head office and convey same details - they must come up with assistance.

Best regards.

Juiz de Fora
reviews: 58
2. Re: Whatever You Do Do Not Rent a Car With Europcar

I called the "customer support" department many weeks ago and sent a detailed report of what happened. Unfortunately, loking a complaint sites like my3cents.com, I found out my horrible experience was not unique. I am glad you were lucky with this company. Regards, Antonio

3. Re: Whatever You Do Do Not Rent a Car With Europcar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, April 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Evora