We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

Which Evora hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

We have five days and have planned the following trip:

Day 1: driving from Lisbon to Fatima, staying one night in Tomar

Day 2-3: drive from Tomar to Marvão, 2 nights in Marvão

Day 3-4: drive from Marvão to Evora, one night in Evora

Day 5: drive from Evora to Lisbon

We will have our own vehicle and plan to do this trip from Monday-Thursday (September 10-14). I think this trip is doable given the number of days and the fact we have our own vehicle.

I would appreciate any advice on the itinerary and if we have selected a good range of places to stay with interesting sites either in the towns themseleves or within a reasonable driving distance from the towns. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best route to take between these towns (most scenic, interesting roads)?

We will be staying the weekend in Lisbon prior to the trip.

Thank you for any recommendations.

Chris

Lisbon
reviews: 6
1. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

One night in Marvão in enough. Stay an extra night in Évora.

Évora
2. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

I agree with Capitao: Marvão is beautiful, but one night is enough.

I suggest extra night in Évora, or Monsaraz, or at Terena - a very small village, in "Casa de Terena" - secretplaces.com/sp/…Casa_de_Terena.asp

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
3. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

Stop at Portalegre en route from Marvao to Evora. Day trip from Evora cd be Vilaviçosa with Royal Palace, Borba and Estremoz. Monsaraz is further on and tiny (atmospheric but few "sights") .

We also like Elvas a lot, historic border town with incredible fortifications. In fact when we visited this area we drove from Cáceres (Spain) via Portalegre (lunch) to Elvas, stayeing in Hotel San Joao de Deus then next day drove via Vilaviçosa and Estremoz to Evora.

And for day 1 : do make sure you visit the monastery at Batalha too. The architecture is breathtaking.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
4. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

Interesting article on Marvao in New York Times travel 29. April 2007. Not sure if TA has indexed it yet. Other good stuff on Portugal in NYT files too.

Brookfield...
reviews: 58
5. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

We totally agree with the 2 nights in Evora idea. Marvao is a cute town, but not worth 2 nights out of 5. Evora has much more to see and experience. When in Tomar, make sure you allocate at least a couple of hours to see the Convento de Christo...it's fascinating for both history and architecture.

Greg/Susie

Castelo de Vide
reviews: 4
6. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

Driving from Fatima to Marvão will take about 2 hours. I agree with tha last posts 1 night in marvão is enough. Marvão is very relaxing and calm. Neraby (8km) you can visit Castelo de Vide (visit the old part of this town) with splendid sightseeing. 1 Km from Marvão you have Portagem with a natural swimming pool, it's very refreshing and you can eat there with the locals (tasting the good Alentejo food).

From Marvão to Évora will take about 2 hours. You will cross the north part of Alentejo (with a carateristic landscape), and you can visit Estremoz and Evoramonte.

Los Angeles, CA
7. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

Calha:

Just read your reponse to this post after I responded to your message from my "antas" post. This answers my question from the other post, so thank you again.

We will stay on night in Marvão.

Chris

Portugal
8. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

About Tomar, I' d like to share with you some images of last sunday, Tabuleiros Feast. Though the next one will take place only in four years, take a look at this link:

http://radio.cidadetomar.pt/tabuleiros

- Fotos cortejo dos tabuleiros= Principal parade photos

- Fotos cortejo dos rapazes= Children parade photos

- Fotos ruas ornamentadas= Decorated streets photos

9. Re: trip itinerary: Tomar-Marvão-Evora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 05, 2009