We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal - best time to visit

Which Portugal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Portugal - best time to visit

Hello,

My partner and I are planning a trip to Europe starting January/February 2015.

We are planning to be away for roughly 4.5-5 months.

When is the best time between January/February and June/July to visit Portugal?

Also if anyone can give any ideas on the average number of Aussie dollars per day we would need to budget in Portugal it would be greatly appreciated :)

2 replies to this topic
Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 46
1. Re: Portugal - best time to visit

January/February it's winter, short days, can be rainy and grey. June/July it's early summer, long days usually very sunny and already hot (around 30ºC), the main cities are holding their annual festivities. What do you prefer?

http://www.visitportugal.com/en/destinos

Boston
reviews: 77
2. Re: Portugal - best time to visit

I think that your Aussie dollars would go farther in January/February IMHO. Much depends on your goals for travel. WHAT are you most interested in doing while in Portugal?

While Portugal looks small on the map, the country has some differences in seasonal climates. We have visited Portugal in December/January and April/May and in July. All three times we have been to Portugal, we have had exceptional good weather. Maybe it was just because we love Portugal so much.

Hotel prices are definitely cheaper in January/February and we went in April/early May. I was rather surprised on how much hotel prices increased in October for example since we are returning then.

We did find some good bargains when we were there in July, You just had to pick and choose where you wanted to be.

Reply to: Portugal - best time to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted