We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Germany to Brugge

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
reviews: 3
travel from Germany to Brugge

Can someone help me out with a train question:

I want to find the shortest way from Lage/Bielefeld area in Germany to Brugges on July 10th, Monday. I looked on the Deutschebahn website but they say that I have to make reservations on certain trains. How can I avoid this since I already bought Railpass tickets? They say I will have to take 3-4 trains and it will take about 6-7 hours.

When I make the connection in BRussels to Brugge, do I have to travel from one station to another? And which station- Central or North of town?

thanks!

Antwerpen, Belgium
reviews: 92
1. Re: travel from Germany to Brugge

It'll be a long journey indeed. At least 6 hours and involving 2 changes (in case you start in Bielefeld Hauptbahnhof). If you take the ICE trains (for example, there's one leaving Bielefeld HBF at 10.23) there's no need to make reservations but you'll have to pay a surcharge. First you'd need to check out if your railpass is valid for this type of trains! You'll always need a reservation for the Thalys trains (high speed, but not yet on the line Cologne-Brussels, so no need to take Thalys) and I'm pretty sure your Railpass isn't valid there.

In Brussels you make the connection to Brugge in the station of Bruxelles Midi (Brussel Zuid in Dutch).

Good luck!

Bainbridge Island...
reviews: 7
2. Re: travel from Germany to Brugge

I am trying to do the same trip, although in December.

How was the train? My wife wants me to drive.

Thanks,

Bainbridge Island...
reviews: 7
3. Re: travel from Germany to Brugge

I am trying to do the same trip, although in December.

How was the train? My wife wants me to drive.

Thanks,

Antwerpen, Belgium
reviews: 92
4. Re: travel from Germany to Brugge

HalRandy, you have a smart wife!

I would also drive. It's only 448km (all on motorways), which means a four and a half hours drive. Depending on the time of the day and whether you will travel week/weekend, traffic may be somewhat dense around Antwerp but otherwise it's easy driving.

CT
reviews: 3
5. Re: travel from Germany to Brugge

We completed this trip in mid July and it did take about 6 hours via train. That was not even including the huge 2hour delay between german border and Liege. We were stuck on the train without food and A/C for those 2 hours. Greulling in July.

Definetely drive from Germany. Good luck!

6. Re: travel from Germany to Brugge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, August 20, 2009