We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels Midi or Centraal station

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 3
Brussels Midi or Centraal station

We will be using Brussels for our Jun Trip. We are 3 adults with 2 elderly in our 70s. Hence prefer everything at doorstep although well nigh impossible. So our main consideration is to minimize climbing stairs and train connections between cities. Within cities we will use taxis for short distances. We intend to use Brussels as the base to spend 6 days making day trips by train overing Bruges, Antwerp, Liege , Koln in Germany and finally back to London by Eurostar. Can anyone advise as to which train Station we should choose our place of stay. Close to Station Mdi or Station Centraal? Do we need to book in advance all the train journeys? Are there discounts for Elderly? Our trip is from Sat 15 Jun to Thurs 20 Jun flying into Brussels Airport from Manchester. Thanks much for your advise.Martin

Cannock, United...
reviews: 20
1. Re: Brussels Midi or Centraal station

Morning Martin,

I think personally I would pick a hotel closer to Centraal if you are planning on doing anything in Brussels. Just purely for ease of access to places in and around the Grand Place. Trains to Bruges from Brussels travel through both Centraal and Midi so no real problem there.

You do not need to book your train tickets in advance unless you wish to for the journeys around Belgium. It is generally cheaper to book Eurostar in advance though for your journey from Brussels to London. The Eurostar terminal is at Brussels Midi if this sways your decision at all.

Regards,

Rob

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 3
2. Re: Brussels Midi or Centraal station

Many thanks for your reply. What about Thalys train to Cologne? Can we board from Centraal Station? how is the area around Midi Station? I was informed it is a bit seedy and less secure. Is a day trip to Amsterdam worth the journey. finally, are there many stairs to climb getting in andnoutnof train stations? Thanks again

Bergen County, New...
reviews: 120
3. Re: Brussels Midi or Centraal station

Almost all train station areas in most countries (!) are slightly seedy, but it's true that Midi might be seedier than Centraal. However, Midi is more modern, and is empties onto a sort of office building plaza very suitable for taxi dropoffs. I also think it has more, newer and better escalators and elevators than Centraal. Although it's being improved, Centraal is an Art Deco gem that is functionally obsolete. Centraal does have across the street access to an escalator to Grand Place level, and the other way, to a shopping arcade with an escalator towards the Palace/Bozar direction.

Thalys gives free transfers to the other two Brussels stations (or you can pay extra for "Any Belgian Station" if it works out ...), but their train only stops at Midi/Zuid.

I presume you expect better comfort and fewer stairs on Thalys, but it is not absolutely essential to use them for Cologne. This is a long day trip, but it makes sense for staying near Brussels-Midi. There is a lot of walking in Cologne. Three people is perfect for chartering a taxicab for a half or full day, if you can afford it.

Although it's on the Koln train line, why are you going to Liege? The train station is notable, but I hear that not much else there is. The other stops make sense.

Brussels
reviews: 9
4. Re: Brussels Midi or Centraal station

<What about Thalys train to Cologne? Can we board from Centraal

No - you have to go to Midi.

< Can anyone advise as to which train Station we should choose our place of stay. Close to Station Mdi or Station Centraal? >

Centraal, without question.

< how is the area around Midi Station? >

It is not attractive. There is nothing of interest and it is a couple of miles from the centre. Look for a hotel in the general area of Central station.

< Do we need to book in advance all the train journeys? >

Not for those within Belgium http://www.belgianrail.be/en/Default.aspx

< Are there discounts for Elderly? >

For trips within Belgium, yes belgianrail.be/en/…seniors-ticket.aspx

For your trips within Belgium, the 10-journey Rail Pass for €76 might be useful for anyone too young for the Senior Ticket belgianrail.be/en/…rail-pass.aspx

Eurostar is expensive unless you book well in advance (several weeks). Train to Köln will be much cheaper booked in advance www.b-europe.com/Travel/Destinations/Cologne

< are there many stairs to climb getting in and out of train stations? >

Both Midi and Central stations in Brussels have lifts to the platforms if you have difficulty with stairs. There are escalators upwards, but often not downwards.

< Is a day trip to Amsterdam worth the journey ? >

In principle, yes. It takes 2 hours by the Thalys train b-europe.com/Travel/Destinations/Amsterdam

Brussels
reviews: 9
5. Re: Brussels Midi or Centraal station

< Midi is more modern... I also think it has more, newer and better escalators and elevators than Centraal >

All the platforms at both Midi and Central are accessible by lift.

< ... why are you going to Liege? The train station is notable, but I hear that not much else there is >

I agree that there is not so much of interest in Liège.

Edited: 4:31 pm, February 15, 2013
6. Re: Brussels Midi or Centraal station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 17, 2014