We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brugge

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hollywood, Florida
reviews: 34
Brugge

I am thinking of doing a day trip from Paris to Brugges Next month and not sure whether to take a train ride and wander ourselves or take an organised day trip? ( we like to wander ourselves but perhaps we would see more on an organized one?) Anyone know the time it takes by bus?

Thanks for any suggestions

Belgium
reviews: 10
1. Re: Brugge

Without any doubt: go by yourselves. The center of Brugge is small and there are so many little cosy corners, shops, alleys, etc. you will want to explore, which, if you take a tour, you will not have the chance to visit.

Get a good map. Here is a suggestion for a walking tour on your own starting from the train station in Brugge:

walk to the "Minnewater" (lake of love) (via a street called "Oostmeers" right across from the train station)

from the Minnewater, to the beguinage (Begijnhof)

then via the Katelijnestraat to the O.L.Vrouwkerk (Church of Our Lady) where you can see a statue by Michelangelo. If you are interested in musea, in the Katelijnestraat you will come across the Memlinckmuseum.

Via the "Dyver" go to the "Vismarkt" (Fish market) (Napoleon style). Along the Dyver, you will find one the finest musea in Brugge: the Gruuthusemuseum. Closer to the church you will have passed the Arentshuis museum. If you don't have time for a visit, at least have a look at the inner court.

Then cross the canal to go to the "Burg".

At the Burg, visit the city hall (do try to visit the main hall: it is open to the public and it's beautiful – headsets with English explanation available) and next to it the Basilica of the Holy Blood.

Via the "Breidelstraat", you will come to the central market square with the Belfry and Halls.

If that's enough walking for you, you can take the bus from here back to the station (they are very frequent).

If not, or if you like (window)shopping, head back to the station via the "Steenstraat".

This is the standard tourist tour. It does not claim to show you everything there is to see in Brugge. But it covers the most important sites. Along this route you will have plenty of occasions to get on a boattrip on the canals, if that is of interest to you.

Have a look at a Brugge map here: http://www.viamichelin.com /viamichelin/gbr/dyn/ controller/ mapPerformPage?pim=true&act=RefineToMap&rnd= 1142494202751&E_mg= 210506076lS11J406075082724116236MAPB2C17103gbr542000130r11033110008 YnJ1Z2dl00001100&stat= ambiguous_map&strChoice=0

(Attention: I had to put in several spaces in the address because otherwise Tripadvisor finds the text too long and does not accept it. Make sure to remove the spaces when you paste it in your browser. If not, just go to www.viamichelin.com and fill out "Maps": Brugge, Belgium (then choose Brugge 8000).

At the left of the map you can zoom in on the map up to street level.

Antwerpen, Belgium
reviews: 92
2. Re: Brugge

There's a very good map (pdf format) on the Brugge website. brugge.be/internet/…Plan_Brugge.pdf

You will find the matching street index here: brugge.be/internet/…stratenindex.pdf

New York
3. Re: Brugge

I am so glad I came across this post. I am planning to go from Paris to Brugge in September as well. However, I can't seem to find information on what train I need to take and how long is the travel time. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Antwerpen, Belgium
reviews: 92
4. Re: Brugge

In Paris (station Paris Nord) you take the high speed Thalys train (reservation essential - reserve ahead of time - online reservation possible, just pick up your ticket in Paris Nord station before you board the train). The Thalys will bring you to Bruxelles Midi (Brussel Zuid).

There you'll have to change trains (and probably platforms) and take the commuter train to Brugge (I think its final destination is Oostende, but you can always ask in the Brussels Midi station).

Make sure to buy a ticket Thalys + EBS that will allow you to travel to Every Belgian Station (which is cheaper than having to buy a separate ticket Brussels/Brugge since the Thalys ticket is only valid upto Brussels).

Bruges, Belgium
reviews: 26
5. Re: Brugge

2 thalys trains go direct until Bruges without changing trains!

Book ahead. It's cheaper.

Seniors travel for less than 5 euros anywhere in Belgium return! (conditions apply)