We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Brugge

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barranquilla...
reviews: 35
Getting to Brugge

Hi All

I am planning to go to Brugge in March!

First of all, is it really worth going to Brugge? How many days should I stay?

Second, I am getting there from Amsterdam. I am seeing Thalys tickets cost too much. I have seen bus rates and they are cheaper, but where can i find cheaper train rates! Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
1. Re: Getting to Brugge

1) I would say it is worth going but cannot tell you how long you "should" stay as this depends entirely on what you like to do. If you only want to see the town centre and the béguinage (where daffodils should be in bloom) and do a canal trip, a day would do.

2) Unlike between Brussels and Paris, where there is no option but to use Thalys, between Amsterdam and Brussels (or Antwerp, where you would change for Brugge) you can also use InterCity trains which are generally cheaper, especially if you would be returning to Amsterdam and at the weekend, when you can benefit from "Benelux return" prices, e.g. for Amsterdam-Brussels, Midflex (weekend return, booked in advance, no changes possible) for €41.80: "High-flex", on the other hand (full price, fully flexible), costs €69.60.

There again, if you book Thalys far enough in advance or if they are running a special promotion on the dates when you want to travel, it is not impossible that Thalys can be even cheaper. You will need to do some research for the dates in question

However, there is no way of getting cheaper prices for train travel than by buying from (since you are starting in the Netherlands) Dutch railways, www.ns.nl. You could also consider going to Antwerp or Brussels by Eurolines bus and then taking the train only from there, again it is cheaper at weekends - but for return tickets only, so if you would not be returning to Amsterdam, you could visit Brugge on a day trip by train from Brussels, which would cost something like €24 return on a weekday, €12.80 at weekends.

This is without taking into account youth fares or anything since you don't mention this possibility.

Barranquilla...
reviews: 35
2. Re: Getting to Brugge

Hi Gaminari

Thanks! I am arriving to amsterdam, then wanted to spend some days in belgium and then go down to paris for the last days. I would also like to know if you know the cheapest way to get from brusells to paris.

My other questions are...

Are hostels in brussels cheaper than in Bruges cause i could stay a night in brusells, take the day trip to bruge, sleep the other night in brussels, day trip of brussels and leave to paris that afternoon or night.

Since i do not know that part of europe very much, maybe if bruge and brussels are not worth going, i could go to someplace in germany or whatever. The thing is i've hear great things of brugge.

Let me know, thanks!

3. Re: Getting to Brugge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, September 16, 2009