We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Ornaments

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 50
Christmas Ornaments

I know it may seem tacky, but can you buy Christmas ornaments in Ghent showing city scenes or with the name "Ghent" printed on them. We will be visiting in early April and I'm hoping to pick up something to remind us of our trip (maybe it's actually not so tacky, I bet a lot of people have ornaments from their travels hanging on their trees!). Thanks very much!

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
1. Re: Christmas Ornaments

No. For one thing, this isn''t a country hugely interested in Christmas, for example, gifts are given to children for St. Nicolas on 6 December rather than on 25 December; so even when Christmas decorations appear in the shops in November, there aren't as many to buy as in some other countries, and the ones you do find are not that special. For another, I have bought Christmas decorations in lots of other countries, usually versions of local crafts (e.g. mirror-embroidered animals from Rajasthan, glass baubles from Poland - a Belgian equivalent might be lace snowflakes), and NEVER have I seen a Christmas decoration emblazoned with the name of a city; let alone a Belgian city.

However if you want to buy a Christmas decoration in April, there is a year-round Christmas shop in BRUGGE, less than 30 mins from Ghent by train: wohlfahrt.com/25-1-kerstfeerie_in_bruegge_be… - the stock is essentially German, but buying it here would remind you of your trip to Belgium.

Washington DC...
2. Re: Christmas Ornaments

Thanks for the reply. Your information is good to know. I visited Brugge in the past and actually picked up a silver metal like ball that reminds me of my visit there as well as some lace. I did buy some Christmas balls in Amsterdam that showed city sights, they were delft and said Amsterdam right on them. I also picked up little delft shoes that said Holland. But you have to admit, if you visit Paris during Christmas, there is no shortage of ornaments emblazoned with Paris on them - but perhaps you don't count Paris as European? (LOL, only joking). Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 13
3. Re: Christmas Ornaments

Hi Travelluver. We too will be in Belgium in April and I have also searched for Christmas shops as I collect decorations worldwide. I have so far only found out about the two shops (Kathe Wolfhart) in Brugge. I asked contacts in Brussels and there is no year round Xmas shop there. I don't know about Belgium but world wide there are certainly many places that have decorations with country or city names on them as I have several. Also looking forward to getting some from Amsterdam (hoping to get Delft). Good luck with your searching and happy travels.

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
4. Re: Christmas Ornaments

@Travelluver: I don't get your joke. Where did I - or you, for that matter - refer to anything as being (or not being) "European"? I don't see how that issue arises.

Certainly I have seen tourist souvenirs with city/country names on them, but not specifically Christmas ornaments - by which I understand e.g. tree hangers, baubles... I would not have recognised "little delft shoes" as Christmas decorations!

Admittedly I don't frequent souvenir shops when I'm in Paris: perhaps in December they dress up the tourist tat they sell all year round as "Christmas ornaments".

Edited: 5:59 pm, January 10, 2013
Washington DC...
5. Re: Christmas Ornaments

Quaminari, Certainly meant no offense. You just mentioned you had never seen an ornament with a city's name on it - I assumed you meant a European city. Here in the US you can certainly buy ornaments with almost every city or state on them. I just mentioned Paris as I know they have plenty of little Eiffel Tower ornaments, as well as ball/baubles with Paris on them.

Washington DC...
6. Re: Christmas Ornaments

Thanks vandgtravel for your nice reply. I don't remember the shop in Amsterdam's name but it was right in the heart of the old city center. I am sure wherever you are staying can refer you. I got two ornaments as mentioned. One was actually given to us by our innkeeper, the shoes. I did see them in the shop as well as the pretty blue and white delft ball I picked up. They had a nice selection, I am sure you will find something good.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 13
7. Re: Christmas Ornaments

Thanks travelluver. The shop in Amsterdam is called Christmas Palace and address is Singel 508-510, 1017 Amsterdam (near The Flower Market I believe) for anyone who may want it. I'm sure we will find something to add to our travel memories each Christmas when our tree goes up.

8. Re: Christmas Ornaments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 12, 2014