We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghent from Brussels.

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
reviews: 14
Ghent from Brussels.

I am trying to plan a trip to Ghent from Brussels. I am on a budget but I am considering staying over night. Is an overnight stay necessary or if I get in early enough and stay later will i have enough time in Ghent? Any suggestions on a day trip itinerary and train suggestions. Are there summer rates?

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
1. Re: Ghent from Brussels.

All depends on what you want to see - in particular how many museums - but I don't see any particular "need" to stay overnight. It's only just over 30 mins to Gent St. Pieters from Brussels (on the fastest, IC, trains, of which there are at least 2 an hour), and the last train back to Brussels leaves after 23:00 hrs.

From the station you would have to take tram no. 1 into the city centre, but after that all depends on what you want to do, and in what order: in the Korenmarkt area you can visit the belfry, cathedral, design museum, Groot Vleeshuis, etc. and do a boat trip, the castle (Gravensteen) is a bit further on.

Belgian Railways' summer ticket is available on weekdays until the end of August (€7.50 single, €15 return, flat rate) but there is no point in buying that as the standard rate between Brussels and Ghent is only €6.20 single, €12.40 return (weekdays), €7.20 weekend return - also for day trips on Sat/Sun.

Edited: 3:13 pm, August 12, 2012
nyc
reviews: 14
2. Re: Ghent from Brussels.

Thank you so much! Really helpful. I think I will do a week day return trip by the end of the month. Thanks again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 26
3. Re: Ghent from Brussels.

Faith0, read through this older thread for ideas on what to do in Ghent in one day and what the prices are.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188666-i1463-k544…

4. Re: Ghent from Brussels.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 20, 2013