We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Trip Report - Brussels 2014

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington dc
reviews: 23
Solo Trip Report - Brussels 2014

Hello All,

As a solo traveler, I found the city to be very safe. I spent 2 days in Brussels and for me 4 days would have been more than enough to comfortably experience this city. Brussels is busy, clean and by my standards safe. Public transportation is very efficient and another nicety for me is that most folks speak English. I actually walked most of the time and didn’t take the metro, trams or buses.

See my full report below.

carryingonbags.com/trip-report-brussels-belg…

4 replies to this topic
new york
reviews: 13
1. Re: Solo Trip Report - Brussels 2014

Great post! Thank you so much for sharing! I am headed to Brussels for 4 nights in July from NY and I am also a huge foodie, accompanied by two beer aficionados. Your dessert pictures labeled paul are from a bakery?

Please tell me more about the credit card situation. Doall american cc companies have the ccapability to issue chip/pin cards? Your existing cc company just sent you a new card?

washington dc
reviews: 23
2. Re: Solo Trip Report - Brussels 2014

Thanks for checking out the post!

Yes Paul is a bakery near the Grand Place. I think they also have locations world wide. We have one here in DC and its fabulous. Would be my first choice for a coffee and pastry.

Traditional credit cards used here in the states are swiped. In Europe they don't really swipe cards anymore. They utilize a chip and pin system with the cards. Ask your credit card company to issue you a chip and pin card. The electronic chip is embedded in the card. Visa and MasterCard are best since Amex is not as widely accepted. Make sure they issue you a pin because sometimes they try to insist its not needed but it is.

Enjoy!

Waterloo, Belgium
reviews: 401
3. Re: Solo Trip Report - Brussels 2014

Thanks for your post Phoenix.

I was surprised that you find Bruxelles clean. Maybe I do some selfbashing about my own capital, nice to see that others see it differently.

Amelia Island...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Solo Trip Report - Brussels 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience and great photos. I read your reports on Brussels, Ghent and Bruges. All are helpful.

Did using Brussels as a base and taking day trips work well for you? I will be visiting Belgium for the first time this summer and plan to base out of Brussels.

Reply to: Solo Trip Report - Brussels 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted