We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 7
Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

Planning on just stopping by for about five hours.

We have eurostar tickets between London & Brussels, then Thalys tickets to Paris later the same evening.

Am I correct in thinking we can show the eurostar ticket for the short journey between Midi and Central? And is that all we do, is show the ticket to the official on the train?

And what about the return journey? Can we show the Thalys ticket, or do we just have to buy a one way ticket back to Central station?

On a side note - haven't been to Brussels in eight years - are there still lots of chocolate shops around Grand Place :)

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
1. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

Yes, your London-Brussels Eurostar ticket is valid on any train from Midi to Central and your Brussels-Paris Thalys ticket, on any train from Central to Midi.

I think there is only one chocolate shop actually in the Grand' Place, but there are plenty more in petite rue au Beurre (the street between the square and the Bourse), rue du Marché aux Herbes (which has been pedestrianised) and the Galeries St. Hubert.

San Antonio, Texas
2. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

Thank you!

So do we just have to show the ticket on the train?

Brussels, Belgium
3. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

If asked to do so - the same as with any other Belgian train. Ticket checks are only carried out on board, but given that this particular trip takes only 3 mins you probably won't even encounter an inspector.

Edited: 1:14 pm, April 06, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
4. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

Thanks - that's all I need to know. Appreciate the quick answer!

Ontario
reviews: 5
5. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

Hello, I also plan to do the same. London--(Eurostar)-->Brussels, then same day Brussels--(Thalys)->Paris.

Thank you for the tip about going to Central using Eurostar/Thalys tickets.

My question is: is there a place we can store our luggage (one checked bag size, one carry-on size) at the station for a few hours?

Brussels, Belgium
6. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

Yes, if you take bags with you to Gare centrale there are lockers on the -1 level (first level you come up to from the train platform, and 1 below ground level; behind the large staircase leading to the ticket office).

If you leave them at Gare du Midi (which I would do in this case as you are changing trains in both directions), there are both lockers and a staffed left-luggage office.

In both cases, follow signs to the "consigne".

Brussels
reviews: 9
7. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

< I think there is only one chocolate shop actually in the Grand' Place >

2 of the famous names - Neuhaus and Godiva. I think the Chocolaterie Grand-Place is also still there.

neuhauschocolates.com/en-gb/…

worldchocolateguide.com/shop/…

http://goo.gl/maps/5g8Ay

Lexington, KY
reviews: 32
8. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

can i purchase MOBIB tickets at de brouckere metro station ? i plan to walk from mannekin pis to de bruckere and catch a metro to heysel (atomium)

are there manned ticket counters there? if it has just kiosks, does it take cash (notes/coins) or would it take credit cards.? i cannot seem to find this info on stib site. hence this question

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 34
9. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

Hi, we are wondering if this is beneficial to our family as well. We'll be arriving from Paris, spending the afternoon in Brussels and then heading to Bruges.

Would it be advisable to stop at Gare Centrale or Gare Midi? We will also have our luggage.

Merci!

Brussels, Belgium
10. Re: Quick stop in Brussels - getting to Grand Place

@ gardengorilla: A Thalys ticket to Bruxelles-Midi covers free transfer to Bruxelles-central, and you can depart to Brugge from Bruxelles-central (trains to Brugge start at Nord and call at Central and Midi).

@ rsriram22 : your question has nothing to do with the OP's query, or that of sz4, concerning free transfers between high-speed and local trains and Midi and Central stations. Even if the original question is badly titled, you can see from the actual question that yours is on a totally different subject.

You can purchase all STIB tickets at any metro station. At De Brouckère, there is a manned ticket office as well as ticket machines (payment methods listed at the bottom of http://www.stib.be/go.html?l=en). In any case, a single JUMP ticket only costs €2. On the other hand, a plastic MOBIB card costs €5 before you even load anything onto it (such as €1.90 single fare), although this is refundable when you no longer need the card (see http://www.stib.be/mobib.html?l=en - "how much does it cost?").