We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical help

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
medical help

I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but I need advice ! We are going to bruges, never been abroad before,. - husband has had 2 heart attacks , and has loads of pills to take.Will we have any probs taking them through customs ? and the other question is does medical care (hope we dont need it eh!) cost money over there like it does in america ? Mary.

Belgium
reviews: 1
1. Re: medical help

Don't know what the formal regulations are for bringing pills into the country but I reckon it won't be any problem, they'll ckeck your pasport and that's it.

Medical care is of high standard of course and for Belgians it is very cheap due to the way our system works. Medical costs can of course be high but everything well all most) is payed for by social security. Of course we do pay a lot of taxes (up to 50%).

General TIP: Don't ever travel without proper travel/health insurrance, if nothing happens then you lost a few bucks, if something does happen you might be in a lot of trouble. If you're from the US, remember that Medicare does not cover foreign medical costs.

Before going abroad, learn what medical services your health insurance will cover overseas. If your health insurance policy provides coverage outside your country, REMEMBER to carry both your insurance policy identity card as proof of such insurance and a claim form. Although many health insurance companies will pay some hospital costs abroad, very few will pay for your medical evacuation. Medical evacuation can easily cost $10,000 and up, depending on your location and medical condition.

Travel wise. If you're unsure, check with your embassy.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
reviews: 21
2. Re: medical help

you will have no problem bringing prescription medicine here from the uk.

get one of the new E111 forms from the post office for each visitor that will cover you for emergency treatment whilsit hewre and that should be all you need.

for americans there is, i beleive, some kind of recirpical arrangement between blue cross and i think heileige hart hospital in Leuven.

the one thing slightly medical that ou should bring are none prescription things like cold renmedies and aspirin. they dont normally sell these things at the supermarkets here and to get them you would have to visit a pharmacy. incidentally you should pack your drugs in hand baggage.

scotland
3. Re: medical help

ok that's very helpful, thank you.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 92
4. Re: medical help

Mary- If your husband has to have medications with him then the medication should always be with him- never pack it. Also you should have your physician give you a prescription for each medicine WRITTEN LEGIBLY including the generic name which you also keep with you at all times. As a nurse, I can not tell you how many times I have heard people complain that the Airlines lost their medications! Dumb! Lyn Clarke

scotland
5. Re: medical help

ok lynn, thats perfect, good idea. thank you!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
6. Re: medical help

Hi, I travel to Europe every year with prescription meds - I take a copy of my prescriptions as well as the generic name for every drug. I also carry a little description from my doc about what the med is for. In your case, be sure you have a brief letter from your doc with a medical history and any information he thinks a doc would want to have. ALWAYS carry all meds in your carry on with an extra supply to allow for accidently getting some wet, having a cancelled flight, etc. I take an extra week.