We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 hrs in Brussels

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
9 hrs in Brussels

Hi ,

We are family of 3 ( all adults) taking a day trip to Brussels from London on a Friday in July / 07, Could someone please recommend if we should take guided city tour or take the hop on hop off bus. Also any suggestions for restaurants for lunch and dinner and ofcourse suggestions for waffle and chocolate shops.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you

Sacramento...
reviews: 49
1. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

For such a short visit, the tour bus is ideal for getting an overview. Don't hop off at the Atomium but stay on the bus to the next stop. It is worth hopping off at the Sablon (near the musical instrument museum and museums. At the Grand Sablon, go to Pierre Marcolini for some of the best chocolates. For Waffels you could get those at Wittamer (in the Belgian style). I prefer the Liege style which are sold plain without toppings and are eating warm as you walk around. They are already infused with sugar and are a delicious treat. At the Sablon you can grab a quick lunch at Le Pain Quotidien or if you want Belgian food (such as Stoemp-mashed potatoes and vegetables with sausage, Mussels or Waterzooi - a type of chicken a la reine or Chicons au Gratins- Belgian endive wrapped in ham and baked in a cream and cheese sauce) try Le Forestier on Rue Haut 2 just down the street from the Sablon.

Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

Hi Lofa,

Thank you for the valuable information that you have provided, the only thing I forgot to mention was that we don't eat any pork so are there any suggestions for restuarants that serve pork free meals.

Thanks again

Sacramento...
3. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

If they can have pork in the kitchen but not in your food then you could find dishes at most any restaurant as long as you let them know your dietary restriction. Waterzooi should not have pork in it nor would the Mussels. Another belgian favorite is Carbonnades a la Flammande which is a beef burgundy stew, this should not have pork in it. Many restaurants also have a choice of a seafood dish. If the kitchen can not have pork in it you might have to go to either a vegetarian or a Middle Eastern restaurant. Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations on those two specialities, hopefully someone reading will. You can also look at www.resto.be type in Brussels and the postal code 1000 then scroll down to the type of food you are looking for and you will see a list. They do have selections for Vegetarian and Lebanese and Morrocan etc.

Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

Thanks again for the infor, would you happen to know if there are any Indian restaurants in the near vicinity of the train station.

Also which Morrocon restaurants would you recommend ?

Thank you

Sacramento...
5. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

Hi

Unfortunately I don't like Indian Food and don't know of any Morrocan restaurants in the area around the Grand Place. I hope someone else will. I found this posting in the archives related to Indian Food. The location is located not too far from the Grand Place (about a 10 minute walk.)

"Those closest to the Grand' Place are:

Maharani, right by the Stock Exchange (Bourse): www.ebru.be/Restaurants/RstMaharani.html

Shamrock www.ebru.be/Restaurants/rstshamrock.html

Bombay Inn http://www.bombayinn.be/how_to_find_us.htm

Indus Valley - in the "happening" St. Géry area, which you reach via a streett opposite the Bourse (passing the Shamrock on the way). www.ebru.be/Restaurants/RstIndusValley.html

Zaika www.resto.be/ware/details.jsp…

I have not tried all of these but like the Indus Valley"

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
6. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

""Those closest to the Grand' Place are:

Maharani, right by the Stock Exchange (Bourse): www.ebru.be/Restaurants/RstMaharani.html

Shamrock http://www.ebru.be/Restaurants/rstshamrock.html"

I enjoyed Maharani, I was afraid that being in a "tourist heavy" location the food would somehow suffer but it was nice.

Now I've walked past the Shamrock several times over several trips (a great name for an Indian restaurant by the way lol) and never found it open! Anyone know if it's still in business?

Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

Thanks to lofa and Irishfan for all their input towards my queries.

Its been very helpful.

New York City, New...
reviews: 18
8. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

we are also thinking of taking a day trip to brussels from london. Is there a reasdon why you are going to brussels and not Paris? Is Belguim on the Euro?

9. Re: 9 hrs in Brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 03, 2009