We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antwerp boat tour in March?

Which Antwerp hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Antwerp boat tour in March?

My family is spending 2.5 days in Antwerp in mid-March and we're saddened to discover that Flandra--the boat tour company TA recs--is closed until April. We know we're traveling in the off-season, but these tours are available in Bruges and Amsterdam during that same time period, so we were surprised. Is there another tour company anyone could recommend? Or another way to see the Harbor? We're very disappointed.

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
1. Re: Antwerp boat tour in March?

... "THESE tours are available in Bruges and Amsterdam during that same time period" - I don't know what you are comparing from Amsterdam (I suspect the same as for Brugge), but you can't possibly compare canal boat trips in small boats with those that operate in working sea/estuary ports like Antwerp (and Rotterdam)! Trips on the Scheldt estuary are much more affected by the weather than those on calm little inland waterways, but in any case, Antwerp isn't a tourist magnet like Brugge and Amsterdam and could never expect enough to fill these bigger boats until around Easter.

This company is Flandria's rival for harbour tours and also does river tours : http://www.janplezier.be/en/vaarroutes/ - but assuming that the information given for the "pancake boat" applies to all of them, it too doesn't start until April (unless, of course, you want to hire of a whole boat for your own group).

Similarly, you can hire the Spring river cruiser: www.everyoneweb.com/springbootverhuureng

This company, which does river tours, doesn't start until MAY: www.rivertours.be/EN/guided-boat-trips.php

I checked the possibility of working (non-touristic) ferries operating at this time of year, but it seems that since the construction of the Sint Anna tunnel to the Left Bank, the Sint Annekensboot service no longer operates, at least on a regular basis: www.kvns.be/veerdiensten-in-het-waasland/

I also looked at boat tours in nearby Lier, but these too don't start until 1 April: http://www.bootjevareninlier.be/en/

If you are particularly fond of boats, however, you could always stay on one! E.g. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188636-d203778… - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188636-d237615…

If you want to do canal boat trips, obviously Antwerp is not the place to be, so maybe you should consider a trip to Ghent, where these start this week: visitgent.be/en/boat-trips-ghents-inland-wat…

New York City, New...
2. Re: Antwerp boat tour in March?

Thanks Qaminari. We hadn't planned to go on one of the long harbor tours, but the shorter one they offer along the Schelde which, until a few days ago, their website said ran in February. Since it was described as the equivalent of the NYC Circleline, it hadn't occurred to me it was as influenced by the weather. Thanks for clarifying. And for all the links--we're visiting Ghent as well, so you're right that we'll get plenty of boat trips in.

3. Re: Antwerp boat tour in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, March 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Antwerp
Recent Conversations