We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

antwerp day trip

Which Antwerp hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poughkeepsie, New...
reviews: 1
antwerp day trip

I will be staying in Amsterdam for one week and am looking to do a day trip in Belgium. I was thinking Antwerp would be nice to see for the day. Does anyone think a day in Antwerp is feasible. I have never been to Europe before and am just looking for a nice city to see sights and take in the culture. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Antwerp
1. Re: antwerp day trip

Yes it is possible. It's about 2 hours with the train from Amsterdam to Antwerp. On the site of the Belgian railways you can find itineraries. www.b-rail.be it is also available in English.

If you spend one day in Antwerp you will have an idea of the city.

The historic center is quite small and you can easily walk it or if you are not a walker take the tram or bus.

Ofcourse if you want to spend a lot of time in museums one day might be too few.

Let me know if you need some info on sights to see or places to eat or things not to be missed. Do you like beer, what kind of food do you like, are you interested in buildings, paintings, fashion, diamonds,...??

Poughkeepsie, New...
2. Re: antwerp day trip

Thanks for the info. My husband and I love walking. We are interested in food, beer and interesting buildings.

Antwerp
3. Re: antwerp day trip

The things to def see in Antwerp :

- Grote Markt (big market place)

- Groenplaats ( it's near the Grote Markt)

- Cathedral ( on the Groenplaats)

- 't Steen (near the River Schelde)

- Hendrik Conscienceplein + church

- 't Zuid + museum

If you face the entrance of the Cathedral and you look to your left you see a little bar called Patervaetje. This is a real authentic place that serves over 100 beers. Have a beer from the tap!

Also behind the Groenplaats you find a street called : Pelgrimsstraat. Go to a place called De Pelgrom. You can have a drink here or eat. It 's like a Medieval cellar completely lit by candles.

Very romantic.

At then end of the Pelgrimstraat on the corner you find a place with really really a lot of kinds of Jenever ( it's a kind of brandy)

On 't Hendrik Conscienceplein there are some nice restaurants.

Personally I really like Facade. Cosy place, good food and very reasonbly priced.

On the Groenplaats there is a place where you can buy real Belgian Fries called Max. Very authentic. With fries served in the orignal pointy bag.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you need anything else.

And have fun in Antwerp!

Poughkeepsie, New...
4. Re: antwerp day trip

Thank you so much. You are so helpful. We can't wait for our trip.

Antwerpen, Belgium
reviews: 122
5. Re: antwerp day trip

Don't forget to check out the travel pages on Tripadvisor. There are some good restaurants listed there.

Enjoy your stay in my city!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 58
6. Re: antwerp day trip

BG1007 I appreciate too. Thanks.

7. Re: antwerp day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 04, 2009